Fish not acting right

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chrystalsterns

Reaction score
My first fish tank and my fish are tripping out. They are running into the side and just not acting right. I did a 75%water change put start right in and three new fish, what did I do wrong?

Well, GloFish are genetically not stable, because of the coloration on glow on them. So this can cause sicknesses very easily. And if you just got it, it could have already been sick. But by the sounds of it, it has swim bladder disease; the fish is swimming all over the tank with no control over the tank. Did you let it run and wait for at least a month before adding fish, if you didn't, that means your tank has not been fully cycled.

Turn the room light on and the tank light off.
Make sure you have a picture on the back of the tank.
Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.
Maybe add some carbon to the filter to make sure there are no chemicals in the tank.
Add some plants if you don't already have some in there.
Give the fish some time to settle down.

Turn the room light on and the tank light off.
Make sure you have a picture on the back of the tank.
Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.
Maybe add some carbon to the filter to make sure there are no chemicals in the tank.
Add some plants if you don't already have some in there.
Give the fish some time to settle down.
Thank you a picture on the bag that makes a big difference. And I tested the water my pH is good the ammonia was good I didn't test for the nitrate. I have carbon in the filter along with plants. I keep a blue light on in the fish tank at night but during the day I turned the light on. But the picture on the back how important is that?

I turn my light off in the tank at 9pm and leave a dim light on in the room until 10pm to simulate nightfall for the fish.
That's good to hear! I do that too, although instead i turn on the blue light in the LED light which also stimulates nighttime for my fish, which I like to call "The Night Light".

Blue lights can freak out fish especially if they haven't been under one before.

Pictures or something on the outside of the back of the tank are essential to giving the fish a sense of security. It is more important for new fish because they are in a strange environment with no solid sides. Fish can't see glass and don't know what it is, so it stresses them out when they can see through something but can't go through it. Having a picture or something on the back of the tank gives them a solid object on the back and makes them feel much more secure.

Blue lights can freak out fish especially if they haven't been under one before.

Pictures or something on the outside of the back of the tank are essential to giving the fish a sense of security. It is more important for new fish because they are in a strange environment with no solid sides. Fish can't see glass and don't know what it is, so it stresses them out when they can see through something but can't go through it. Having a picture or something on the back of the tank gives them a solid object on the back and makes them feel much more secure.
When I buy new fish, and i turn on the blue light, it does stress them out but not too much. They have never died because of that with me. But after a few days they get used to it! And some of the bottom dwellers come out at that time! :D

Most reactions

Back