Fish Kicking Up Sand

jackel931

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
does anyone have any big fish in their tank that sit on the bottom and then shoot up real quick and kick up (flip up?) large quanities of sand? My big pleco does this and I'm worried its gonna destroy the filter. If it matters its a filstar xp4 filter.

My plecos do the same thing in my 55. I was worried about the filter in the beginning, but now when I clean the filter, I make sure I get any sand out of it, so it won't accumulate too much. It doesn't collect too much, since it settles really quickly. :)

a good filter shouldn't break because of some sand. i think the makers expected some debrie to get in there, aslong as you clean it out nice and throughly it should be fine.

Option 1, Cross Your Fingers and Pray.

Option 2, Kill The Plec :)

...Only jking of course ;)

Option 1, Cross Your Fingers and Pray.

Option 2, Kill The Plec :)

...Only jking of course ;)

im sure most external filters use gravity to get water to the filter.

so basicly water goes into the filter.
water then goes though the filter media
the pump then takes the water back into the tank

so if this is the case it wont even touch the pump!

chris

thanks for all the great advice guys..

haha i was hoping i didnt have to go for option 2

I have the same problem with my cory cats. The filter makes this horrible scratching/screaming noise every so often; at which point i dismantle the thing and wash the sand and grit out. Its a pain, but i like sand.

i know this might sounds like a stupid question but he always gets sand on the heater as well and the sand just sits there. could that be a problem too?

i know this might sounds like a stupid question but he always gets sand on the heater as well and the sand just sits there. could that be a problem too?

the heater should be vertical really - to avoid the heating elements heating the outer glass unevenly and shattering...

Most reactions

Back