Fish In Cycle

15w of lighting, on for 8hours per day will cost in the region of 1p-2p per day.

A 30w heater, thermostatically controlled, would cost in the region of 4-5p per day. (I've assumed an equal proportion of on-time and off-time for the heater, since it seems the water is already up-to-temperature, and is therefore maintaining temp)

A 9w power filter, on permanently, would cost in the region of 3-4p per day.

So overall, around 11p per day, using Southern Electrics' website tariff of 12p per Unit (kilowatt-hour). I didn't factor in standing charge, as that'll being paid anyway.

If you present these figures to your dad, then tell him that you don't need the lights on until fish go in, offer him 10p per day, to allow you to fishless cycle? You never know, it might work, and he might even let you do it anyway without taking your money.

Boots chemist (online) or try other local chemists to see if they have any.

Make sure it's un-perfumed etc and it's usually 9.5% ammonia solution.

Also try DIY shops as they might sell it too, I know people have bought it from places such as HomeBase previously.

To follow on from that, test it by giving the bottle a shake and see what happens to the bubbles. If the bottle is still full of bubbles after a few seconds (ie it looks like you've put some bubble-bath in it) DO NOT use it.

If the bubbles disappear more or less instantly, then you can use it.

I bought my last bottle from Homebase, their "Value" or "Basics" or whatever it's called range. I rejected a bottle I looked at in Robert Dyas, because it foamed up so much.

aren't you cycling with your danios?
don't add any ammonia if you're gonna cycle with fish.

No Ikan i managed to convince my dad to give me more time. I'm off to homebase now. How much Ammonia do i need to add to the tank?

Thanks

Most reactions

Back