Fish ID?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dwalk77

Reaction score
I saw this fish at the store, and it was labeled as a Green Fire Tetra. After more research, it looks to me like this is actually a Green Neon Tetra.
Can someone confirm what fish this is?

1665686977503.png

1665687103233.png

Looks like a green neon tetra to me, but you have to also know that fish can have many different common names, and some of those are even common names used for other species of fish. That's why many urge the use of scientific names only, to be sure which species of fish is actually being talked about. That's even more important on an international forum like this, since the common names used are often different in different parts of the world, while the scientific name is always the same.

Yes, it is Paracheirodon simulans, commonly called the green neon tetra or false neon tetra. The "green fire tetra" name is sometimes applied to this fish, but it can also refer to a very different fish that is a real terror, fin nipping wildly.

This fish (P. simulans) is the most sensitive of the three "neon" species. It needs very soft water and an acidic pH. Very, very peaceful, needs at least 12-15, even more if space permits. Floating plants to shade the light and bring out the brightest colour.

Most reactions

Back