Fish Id

Mrsdubs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Please can someone I'd this plec type fish? it was sold to me as some kind of catfish but I can't remember what is was called, the fish shop assured me it wasn't a common plec and would not grow large at all, but this particular lfs is NOT to be trusted lol

Ive had it for a good few months, think I got him back in August and he's grown almost double his original size, but he was only very small when I got him

Just worried I've been sold something unsuitable for my tank

Apologies for the pic quality, I'm using my iPhone

61D05472-CED1-4522-9B40-9011428EF79A-2712-00000326BD48EB41_zps4db4bb3b.jpg

I agree, it would just be a guess. I know taking pictures of fish is difficult. If you have a macro mode on your camera I find that helps a ton.
I could guess a sailfin pleco but that's just a guess and the nose doesn't look quite right. There are just so many species.

Its not even slightly impossible to tell from that picture :)

That is almost definately a Bristlenose Catfish :) Can tell but the shap of its body, its face, its fins and its eyes, the spots all over it and the markings on its tail, including the white tips to the tail. It won't get too big, though whether too big for your tank or not will depend on the size of the tank!

MBOU said:
Its not even slightly impossible to tell from that picture
smile.png

That is almost definately a Bristlenose Catfish
smile.png
Can tell but the shap of its body, its face, its fins and its eyes, the spots all over it and the markings on its tail, including the white tips to the tail. It won't get too big, though whether too big for your tank or not will depend on the size of the tank!

I agree. It's a Bristlenose. I got one in my tank and it looks exactly the same.

The nose and tail fin of that plec looks like my Bristlenose, too.

Without a clearer picture though, we could have mistaken this fish and it may well be a young common plec for example. I've seen them with that patterning before.

Thanks to everyone else too!!

Just checked online and mine looks exactly like a bristlenose but mine doesn't appear to have any bristles....

Mrsdubs said:
Thanks to everyone else too!! Just checked online and mine looks exactly like a bristlenose but mine doesn't appear to have any bristles....

some females do not get any bristles

It might just be really young! Its hard to judge from the photo, some males dont develop bristles until much later...

But its hard to tell whether the plastic plant is small and the bristlenose very small or its a huge plastic plant and a young adult bristlenose! To me if I had to guess... I'd say it was no bigger than maybe 3-4  cm which is still very young.

Some good clear (as possible) photos of the face from the front, side and above if possible should mean i/someone could sex the fish. 

Most reactions

Back