Fish Id?

skgarcia

Reaction score
This is someone else's photo, but our fish looks just like this. It's absolutely tiny, probably a little under an inch long.

Thanks!

IMG_0411.jpg

What is a rift valley? I know it's one of the types of lakes in Africa, but I am a total newbie to cichlids. They aren't my thing. My boyfriend bought this fish totally ill prepared and I am just praying it's not a Golden Mbuna, because it's going in a 20 gallon. There's nothing we can do about the tank size, and he will not take this fish back. I told him if it dies, it dies..

Are you confirming my fears that this is a juvenile mbuna?

It is a cichlid from lake tang.

Mbuna are a cichlid from lake malawi.

The lake Tang. are more peaceful as rift lake cichlids come. But are still territorial. Its best to keep multiple of one type to keep aggression within themselves.

I'm afraid it resembles the Golden Mbuna more than any Juli species I've been researching from lake Tang..

970_BnHover.jpg

This is a Golden Mbuna, correct?

Could possibly be a Julidochromis ornatus. They photos when I searched for them over google. Came up very similar.

Also depending on tank mates. The golden mbuna will probably kill everything else after a while if its of the Melanochromis species. I think you should rehome it asap if it start in on any other inhabitants.

Female Auratus (Melanochromis auratus), I have kept them and in my expirence with them they are pretty aggressive.

Most reactions

Back