Fish Id

darklight

Reaction score
I just bought a 2nd hand tank mentioned in another post, with it I got various fish, 2 of which I cannot ID.

Can anyone help me with names for these types of fish?

First one was apparently a feeder fish, which never got eaten, and grew up in the tank. He is very twitchy, and quite shy, bit of a loner, and gets bullied by my biggest swordtail. 2 inches long. Doesnt seem very interested in eating (when I'm watching anyway), and likes to pace the back wall of the tank most of his time. (click for bigger picture)

And number 2 - no information on this one, about 1.5 inches long, and mostly transparent, apart from his red tail. Seems to get on well with the swordtails.

Thanks for any help!

Simon.

Here's my guesses:

Fish 2 I think is a white cloud mountain minnow.

Fish 1 I'm not as sure. It has the spot that rosey barb's have but it looks gold to me in the that picture.

Laura

Ok here you go I'm 100% of what they are.

1)Barbus schuberti or Golden Barb
2) Prionobrama filigera or Glass Bloodfin Tetra

Ok here you go I'm 100% of what they are.

1)Barbus schuberti or Golden Barb
2) Prionobrama filigera or Glass Bloodfin Tetra

Thanks, I agree with you on the tetra, but not so much on the golden barb. If I do a google image search for golden barb, all the photos show a much sleeker, streamlined fish than mine.

I'm not sure if this is a surefire way of identifying, I know some fish species can vary greatly in colour, but surely not shape?

Its more similar in shape to a tiger barb, than even a rosy barb, but it does match a rosy barb's pattern, if not its colour (according to google image search :))

Let me know if I'm being simple!

Simon.

Dose the colouration match though?

Their is no other barb seen in shops that that sort of colouration. Even golden tigers still show bars.
It's common for females to get fat though with eggs.

I have 3 of the fish in the first pic. They were bought a feeder fish and I still don't know what they are, so I am interested in this topic!!!

I vote female rosy barb. The males are red, but the females are pinkish or golden. (Most of the pics online are of males.) They also have the dark spot seen on the caudal peduncle (tail base) of that fish. Rosy barbs are often sold as feeders, if that one was bred as a feeder the line would have been selected for egg count and fast growth, not bright red colour. The species is fairly variable in colour, has anybody seen the glowlight and chilli variants?

its a rosey barb gold barbs have more black blotches on them if i am correct

I agree that fish1 is a rosey barb. Regardless of color it just has all the aspects of a rosey.

That brings up a question for all of you: Which direction did the colors migrate, if they did much? I remember in the late 50's, early 60's that a rosey pink was -it-. Even though the breeding males got a darker, richer pink, I didn't think it made it all the way to calling it red. And the females were definately more silvery most of the time.

I'm just wondering whether color movement in the species has happened since then or whether I was only exposed to limited varieties in the shops I frequented? Anybody remember gold variation females back in the 60's? Red accented males that far back? And I'm pretty sure their weren't chili and other variants Laura talks about.

~~waterdrop~~

Agreed, There are many colour variations of Rosy Barbs, (Silver, Gold, Red, Pink, Black Finned)

The fish is definitely a Puntius conchonius

LOL ok i was 100% sure it's a golden still looks like to much colour for a female rosy although the caudal pedunclel spot is correct for a rosy.
As for the marking's it all depends on the fish and not a sure way some do, some don't.

I still think it's more golden barb then rosy but could be lighting, could u get a better pic plz.... I so want it to be a golden now ;)

Its not a Shubertian/Golden barb
its
Barbus/Puntius conchonius

OK, the heavyweights have spoken (davo and BigC :lol: ) so we've no doubt got our ID! But nobody took me up on my color migration question.. (?)

Most reactions

Back