Fish Grow To The Size Of The Tank?

lil-x-me...x

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Heyaa,

iv just had a debate with my family over fish stunting as i think its called. some of my family do not believe that the myth of that fish grow to the tank size isnt true. i have tried to explain that fish cannot be kept in a small tank if i big fish due to that there bodies may not be able to grow and may stop, but their internal organs will keep growing, and when it gets too big for the body, no matter how long it takes, it will eventually kill them.

am i right in saying this? :/

do all of you totally agree with fish stunting? :dunno:

thanks x

Heyaa,

iv just had a debate with my family over fish stunting as i think its called. some of my family do not believe that the myth of that fish grow to the tank size isnt true. i have tried to explain that fish cannot be kept in a small tank if i big fish due to that there bodies may not be able to grow and may stop, but their internal organs will keep growing, and when it gets too big for the body, no matter how long it takes, it will eventually kill them.

am i right in saying this? :/

do all of you totally agree with fish stunting? :dunno:

thanks x
its a myth , but the organs being crushed is a myth.

there is no scientific evidence to back the fish being stunted theory up at all

a hormone is given off, but its in such a small concentration when the fish is young, that water changes dilute it so its useless, bigger fish produce more of this hormone, but water changes remove it, fish curling is a sign of a tank being too small.

Myth - Fish will only grow to the size of the tank that they are in. A common pleco still has the potential to reach a foot long in a 2 foot tank if kept with decent water conditions.

Fact - Fish kept in tanks that are two small suffer from health problems as they grow. This could be due to the fact that their body doesn't grow as much due to a build up of their own hormones in the water and the general water quality, but in time their organs can grow abnormally in the smaller than expected body and cause health problems towards the end of the fishes life, if it hasn't been shortened already.

I haven't got any scientific knowledge to back this up, apart from my experiences with goldfish that I kept as a kid, and more specifically my last goldfish a lovely fantail who unfortunately had to be put down because it had a bloated swim bladder.

I'm sure there is enough anecdotal evidence to support this theory, and possibly even scientific studies.

hmm, interesting that is truck, i was told that i shouldnt have had my red tail shark that i once had in, due to that it could be stunted. i know it shouldnt have been in my tank in the first place but its interesting to know that them ' experts ' were actually wrong :p

Boy Mythbusters would have a field day with this thread.

If a big fish is kept in a small tank it will only grow to a certain size, usually much smaller than it could. The fish will not end up deformed and its organs will not get squished up from being in a small tank. The fish will stay a normal shape and its body will function perfectly normally. The only difference being the fish will remain smaller than it would normally become.

so really you could keep a fish that is too big for the tank in a small tank and it wouldnt suffer?

only it would be cruel as it could grow bigger...or if it wouldnt would it be cruel? :/

so really you could keep a fish that is too big for the tank in a small tank and it wouldnt suffer?

only it would be cruel as it could grow bigger...or if it wouldnt would it be cruel? :/
it would be cruel, and it would be smaller than normal, but its organs wouldnt be crushed as some make out

ok, so stunting isnt real,however it is still cruel thinking about it becuase the fish wouldnt be able to grow as much as it should because of our selfish sactisfaction.

right? x

Most reactions

Back