The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

When a tank is cycled, there is no detectable level of ammonia or nitrite. Ammonia is made constantly by the fish but it is turned into nitrite then nitrate almost as soon as it's produced and the levels in the water are so low they can't be detected. If either ammonia or nitrite are detectable it means there are not enough bacteria; or in other words the tank is not cycled, either because it is not yet completed cycling or because something has killed some bacteria.

Most aquarium plants take up ammonia rather than nitrate because they have to expend energy turning nitrate back into ammonia to use it. If there is insufficient ammonia for the plants' needs they will use nitrate.

Once a tank is cycled, the beneficial bacteria (and the plants, to some extent) will consume both ammonia and nitrItes, instantly...they should never register on a test...nitrAtes, on the other hand, are usually not ever "totally" consumed, unless the tank is HEAVILY planted...nitrAtes at low levels (<20 PPM) are not harmful to fish
Okay, thank you. The instant part isn't something I realized. I'll check the nitrites again in a few hours and if they've not gone down, water change.

Okay, thank you. The instant part isn't something I realized. I'll check the nitrites again in a few hours and if they've not gone down, water change.
Good plan...how often have you done WC's in the past?....weekly is a good idea, after the tank is cycled

Which water conditioner do you use?

Good plan...how often have you done WC's in the past?....weekly is a good idea, after the tank is cycled

Which water conditioner do you use?
Prime water conditioner. We check it and do it weekly on all tanks. Normally about 20% of the water.

Prime water conditioner. We check it and do it weekly on all tanks. Normally about 20% of the water.
Good conditioner, good routine...you may want to increase the volume, many of us do around 50%

Fresh, clean water is the best thing we can offer our fish, above all else

If you have other tanks, pinching a little bit of the filter media from one of their filters and transferring that the new tanks filter should help speed up the cycling process. Called a seeded cycle. The beneficial bacteria don't live in the water column, but they do live in the filter media. Or some substrate from one of the other tanks can help too, but filter media better for obvious reasons.

The things you think are eggs, are they the blue coloured things waving about on the end of the driftwood?

They are not tetra or rainbowfish eggs. Not clown pleco either.

If they are eggs, then Panda garra eggs are the most likely choice.

Most reactions

Back