Fish dying

I’ve just noticed my platy has been rubbing his belly against things, any ideas why?? Im not sure if it’s cos of his colour but he’s a tiger platy and the underneath of his belly looks red?

I'm sure you were already told but with a new filter you are starting the cycle all over again.

Last edited:
I’ve just noticed my platy has been rubbing his belly against things, any ideas why?? Im not sure if it’s cos of his colour but he’s a tiger platy and the underneath of his belly looks red?
Pictures and a video please?

Morning everyone! I’ve got my own testing kit and the results are saying
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 5.0
Ammonia 0.2
I know I need to do a water change but how much would you suggest? Also when I do re test?

I would do a 50% water change then test tomorrow morning again. If both are zero, a water change isn't needed, but if either have crept up again, another water change is needed.

With hard water your pH is likely to be over 7, which means water changes to reduce ammonia are more important than if the pH was under 7.

I would do a 50% water change then test tomorrow morning again. If both are zero, a water change isn't needed, but if either have crept up again, another water change is needed.

With hard water your pH is likely to be over 7, which means water changes to reduce ammonia are more important than if the pH was under 7.
Great thank you so much! How much of a water change tomorrow if needed?

Be guided by the readings. Changing half the water will reduce the levels by half. With your current readings, changing half the water should get the reading down below the lowest reading on the tester.

Reactions: SJX
I advise you use Seachem Prime as soon as you can . You cant remove 100% of the Ammonia from the water without stopping the cycle. Prime will detoxify Ammonia and nitrite/nitrate. Its the safest way to cycle a tank with fish. Dose it everyday until you see the levels drop to 0. Prime in my opinion is a must have for every fish keeper.

I advise you use Seachem Prime as soon as you can . You cant remove 100% of the Ammonia from the water without stopping the cycle. Prime will detoxify Ammonia and nitrite/nitrate. Its the safest way to cycle a tank with fish. Dose it everyday until you see the levels drop to 0. Prime in my opinion is a must have for every fish keeper.
Is it ok to use this with stress coat and stress zyme already in the tank?

Is it ok to use this with stress coat and stress zyme already in the tank?
I believe the consensus is not to use Stress Coat due to the addition additives that may be harmful to fish.

Do a 75-80% WC and treat water with Prime or other 'plain' conditioners, such as API Tap Water Conditioner.

Prime should not be dosed like a medication. It should only be added to the new water at a water change. Those should still be done as Prime only detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for 24 to 36 hours then they become toxic again. The way to use Prime is to do the water changes and use Prime to keep the fish safe between water changes.

To be honest, Stress Coat is not the best water conditioner as it contains aloe vera. Use the bottle then once it is finished, either use Prime or API Tap Water Conditioner, neither of which contain aloe vera.

Prime is not a medication. It is a water conditioner. The water needs to be conditioned so the fish can survive in water that is toxic. This is why you should not cycle with fish in my opinion. However that is a luxury you no longer have. The only way to continue the cycle and protect your fish is dosing Prime. Its perfectly fine to dose in the tank as needed. The directions say this. You can even does 5x times to detoxify the water in emergency situations. I would stop stress coast right away.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I added prime yesterday and have got rid of the stress coat, I tested my water this morning nitrite, ammonia and nitrate all 0, do I need to keep testing daily for now? Or not? And when Should I do another water change? Thank you for all your advice I really appreciate it 😀

Continue monitoring ammonia and nitrite for the next 2 weeks. You can do it once a day or once every second day. If you get an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm, then do a big water change to bring it down.

If there is no more ammonia or nitrite problems, then do a water change and gravel clean the substrate once a week from now on. :)

Most reactions

Back