Fish Dying - Very High Nitrite

dave_m13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all

fish have started dying

I have a big emergency, my tank started getting very murky in colour this morning so I have just tested water parameters

Amm 0
Nitrite 5ppm
Nitrate 10

Is there anything that could be added to lower the Nitrite quickly, the fish do not look very good.

Please anyone respond as soon as possible.

I have had this tank for about 2 years.

The only thing that may have caused this is I have a CO2 carbonator in the tank that cracked and noticed in the morning it had moved to the front of the tank, now I have no idea what is in the carboator to produce the c02. This is the only thing I can think has caused it.

Thanks
Dave

aquarium salt- 1 teaspoon per 5 US gallons (make sure this is mixed outside the tank and poured in w/ the water)
along w/ loads of water changes.

Is there any liquids or something to lower it? I do not think any of the fish will last also away all next week, so today is the only day I can do water change.

won't nitra-zorb work? I'm a newbie so don't know but its reccomended for removing nitrates/nitrites

Your in big trouble if your going away I'm thinking. Possibly you could get the LFS to care for them if the LFS is any decent.

Just do an instant water change of 30%. And add salt like another member said.

I have done a big water change, added prime and Stress Zyme, also added a polyfilter to the filter. I have lost all Barbs I think, only found 4 the other one must be lying some where. Also lost a hillstream loach.

So far these are the fish I have lost but due to the water being so cloudy I cannot see. I am not sure why the water is so cloudy either.

I am so annoyed that this has happended. They are looking much better, hopefully this will not get worse again this week, at least until thursday evening.

do not add any salt if you have any kind of catfish in your tank it will burn them, water changes and use PRIME (red and white bottle), i had the same problem after i cleaned my filter out?, i wondered why my fish were all gasping. Anyway it only took me about a 2 days to solve it , just keep changing the water and add PRIME (it is a bit hard to work out the doseage) i added prime 2 times aday with the water change, do not over dose.

Test the water after each dose of prime & water change, you should see the nitrites gradually going down.
Good Luck

I was just about to say, AFAIK catfish and salt don't mix.

Most reactions

Back