Fish Dying, Help!

spilz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi, i have had my one tank running non stop for about 4 years now, i did a partial (35% ish) water change 3 days ago, and added the usual tap water conditioner that ive always used, i did it the same way i have done it for about 7 years. the fish seemed fine, and the tank looked swish.
i hadnt bought any fish for about a year, so i went to the shop, and finally got a royal, hes 5 or so inches long and i picked him up for £35!
so as you can tell im pretty chuffed with my new fish.
SO now on to the problem, just before i went to bed last night, about 12 ish, i noticed at least half my fish were at the surface, and i mean mouth's out constantly. immediately i thought ammonia, but i have only just cleaned it, and i thought that came from fish waste etc.

this morning i woke up and i had lost,

an emperor tetra
a keyhole
a monk goby
a shrimp
and one of my spotted talkers is upside down barely alive.
so as you can tell im pretty gutted, and obvioulsy dont want to lose any more fish

the only thing i have done differently is add tetra fin sinking wafers, and courgette (i know this sounds stupid but i reallly dont know whats up)

any help appreciated!

I'm assuming you have a test kit - could we please have water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH/temp) because you never know.

How is the royal plec doing? Anything wrong?

Any sign of whiteness around the mouth, white lines on the fins/finrot, scales lifting or peeling? The only disease that would move that fast and not leave obvious signs of itself on the body would be bacterial, possibly columnaris, and thats' there if you know what to look for. Photos?

Sounds really odd, horrible when something like this happens!

hi, i dont have a test kit anymore, but i will get one,
all fish seem fine, no symptons other than hanging around the surface, i did another water change and the fish seemed a bit better, they werent hanging around the surface as much. im at uni now, but will check them when i get in.

when i left the royal was ok, luckily.
thanks

hi, no more fish have died luckily, although the spotted dora didnt make it.
im gutted it happened, but glad my royal didnt die!
i forgot to mention i did another water change so that must have done the trick.

who knows.

just one of those things.

Most reactions

Back