Fish Dumping In Wild

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Just wanted to know people's opinions on how they will be dumping fish into waters, to eat the larvae of the mosquitoes which have Zika Virus. I always thought doing this is not good because it will effect the ecosystems or something.

It won't be the first time fish have been used to try to limit mosquito populations. While it may have an effect on local ecosystems if they can eradicate the mosquitoes it will have been worth it IMO, then they can try to sort out the damage done by the non native fish.

Typical response from ill informed people, Introducing alien species rarely works and the consequences are usually catastrophic for the native fish
It would be better to try and restore the habitats and let the native fish that have evolved in the habitat and will probably do a better job than introduced species  

I agree with ricefish. Apparently they are using Sambo fish from El Salvador. And I read they are dumping them down drains and sinks.

The fact that mosquitoes kill more than 1 million people every year prompted me to make my ill informed post.

To avoid showing my ignorance in future I'll refrain from commenting any more on this subject.

If full research has been done into the possible impacts of introducing a new nonlocal/ endemic species then the out come can be good, provided a back up plan of future control of the introduced species is also considered.
In Australia because people didn't realise what an amazing job our local rainbow fish and blue eyes did in mosquito control they introduced guppies and gambusia into many waterways. The guppies and gambusia breed faster than the natives and eat the native eggs/ fry while also picking at and eating the plants the native fish use to lay their eggs. Goldfish that where either deliberately or accidently let go have become major pests in many waterways and wrecked untold damage to the entire ecosystem thanks to their habit of sucking up mud and not allowing plants to grow. A clever solution that a company came up with is catching these pest goldfish/ carp and turning them into liquid fertilizer for gardeners in a product called "Charlie Carp".
If the two options of mosquito control is introduce some fish or use chemicals such as DDT (yes this is still made, sold and marketed), then I will always pick the fish, at  least down the track you can find a use for the fish.

Most reactions

Back