Fish died within 24 hrs but not in a different tank??

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

arhanna22

Reaction score
So my kids each have a fish tank. one 10 gal and one 6.5 gallon. I bought tiger barbs and neon tetras. 5 of each in the 10 gallon tank, and 4 of each in the 6.5 gallon tank. tanks are filtered and heated at 76 degrees. I used SafeStart in both tanks. tested water, my Ph and hardness is high in both tanks. both tanks have the same conditions. Within 24 hours, all the fish were dead at the bottom in the 6.5 gallon tank. however, all the fish are doing just fine in the 10 gallon tank. What is going on? i want to get him more fish but I want to find out why they died first to prevent it from happening again. Any suggestions? Thanks.

So my kids each have a fish tank. one 10 gal and one 6.5 gallon. I bought tiger barbs and neon tetras. 5 of each in the 10 gallon tank, and 4 of each in the 6.5 gallon tank. tanks are filtered and heated at 76 degrees. I used SafeStart in both tanks. tested water, my Ph and hardness is high in both tanks. both tanks have the same conditions. Within 24 hours, all the fish were dead at the bottom in the 6.5 gallon tank. however, all the fish are doing just fine in the 10 gallon tank. What is going on? i want to get him more fish but I want to find out why they died first to prevent it from happening again. Any suggestions? Thanks.
We need to know your water parameters. First of all, these fish are not suitable for a tank this size and tiger barbs need larger groups, so do tetras. This is however, not the main issue. It is likely that adding lots of fish to a small tank like this have caused ammonia spikes as I doubt your tank is cycled. Safe Start will not instantly cycle your tank, and the only way to do this is to take filter media from an already cycled tank and add it to the uncycled tank.

Do your research before adding anymore fish and get to the bottom of the issue. Take all the fish back to the store you have purchased, or if you cannot do this do everything you can to keep them alive.

Welcome to TFF.

I agree with the above. Neither species will live very long in either tank for a couple of reasons.

First, Tiger Barbs. This fish is a notorious fin nipper, and it must be maintained in a group of 8 minimum but 10-12 would be better. However, this requires a 30 gallon tank (base dimensions of 30 by 12 inches (75 by 30 cm) for just this fish group. In smaller tanks or smaller numbers, the fish will soon be severely stressed, which means further problems and a short lifespan because fish simply cannot cope with such things. Returning these fish is highly advisable.

Second, the neon tetra. For the best health, this fish should have at minimum a 20 gallon tank with base dimensions of 24 by 12 inches (60 by 30 cm) and be in a group of no fewer than six but a few more will be much better. All nine neons in the 10g on their own could work, though long term not in the best interests of the fish, so I would suggest returning these too.

There are fish suited to a 10 gallon tank, and we can go into the suitable species once we have the water parameters confirmed; the hardness (GH) is critical, and then pH [8.2 is given here, but without knowing the GH we cannot know if this may lower or not, and neons are soft water fish]. You should be able to ascertain the GH (general or total hardness) from your water authority, check their website.

GH is important because it involves the dissolved mineral, primarily calcium and magnesium, in the water. Whatever comes out of the tap willnot change much if at all in an aquarium. The pH is tied to the GH but it might lower. Each freshwater fish species has evolveed to function best in very specific parameters. There are basically soft water species and hard water species, and some that manage well somewhere in the middle. So GH is very important to fish.

Concerning the rapid deaths, this could be cycling-related or something else. I never guess with disease-type issues, but the above is going to cause trouble going forward.

Im confused are the tiger barbs with the neons? If so tiger barbs will bully harass and shred the neons.
Secondly 6.5 gallon and even a 10 gallon is too small for both tiger barbs and neons.
Both are shoaling fish and need to be kept in same species groups if no less than 6 to feel safe. The more the merrier.
As Shoaling fish they also need longer tanks than a 6 or 10 gallon provide as they swim back and forth back and forth.
Good luck though weve all made mistakes.
My first tank when i was a kid was a 20 long with a chinese algae eater a plecostomus 2 feeder gold fish a couple sword tails and some zebra danios. Lets just say it didnt end well for any of my fish:(

I think the fish in the smaller tank died because with it's smaller water volume, condition deteriorated quicker. I'd guess the same will happen with your other tank unless you take steps to sort it out.

If all the fish died suddenly and together in one tank but not the other, there is something in the tank that poisoned them, possibly ammonia from too much fish food, or some other chemical that might have been introduced by someone putting something in there.

I would drain the tank and gravel clean the substrate, then refill it with dechlorinated water. Then drain and refill again. Then look for a small fish that can live in the tank. Try to avoid active fish like barbs that need a bigger tank.

The following link has information on what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth a read when you have spare time. You should also read up on the filtration cycle.

I agree with @Byron and @Colin_T. Those 2 species don’t get along. Tiger barns also need a bigger tank. Neon tetras also need a bigger tank. (20g is the minimum recommended size, but I personally recommend a 29g long)

If whatever store you bought them from will take them back, do it. It’s the best for the fish you already have and the ones you just bought.

A lot of people have made the same mistakes you did, in fact we all have at least one time with our fish. Rule #1 Do not believe everything you hear from your local fish store, they are there to sell fish and Rule #2 Research everything before you buy. You can ask here if you have any questions there are plenty of people who will gladly help. Good luck.

Most reactions

Back