Fish By Post Query

screamingdonkey

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I keep seeing fish for sale on the internet, delivered by Royal Mail.
In most cases, they are sent by Special Delivery (delivery guaranteed by midday, the following day).
Assuming these fish are posted as late as possible the previous day (say 5pm-ish) & that they may not turn up til midday the following day, I make that approx 17 hours out of the tank with no heating.

Is this safe?
Fish-friendly?

I see that on some sites, people are insisting that they will NOT sell fish via the mail system - and therefore I assume that some people are against the principle.
So what I really need to know is - the pros & cons of this practise (the cons more so, I guess).

Does anyone here have experience of this & what are the fatality rates involved?

Thanks in advance

I've had many fish posted to me (both by courier and royal mail) - my two festivums were even delayed (royal mail) and ended up in the post for 5 days (and it was this winter too) with no heat pack. Still turned up alive and healthy :)

Edited to add - sorry - my festivums did have a heat pack, just it was only a 24 hour one as the sender obviously expected them to arrive on time (bloody royal mail are useless). If I were to send fish, which is unlikely as I dont breed any lol, I'd use special next day delivery - not first class or even first class recorded/registered. But even with special delivery there's the chance they wont turn up on time - it just means if they dont, you can kick up a fuss and get your money back.

To be fair though I've only ever had one special delivery item not arrive on time - and that was the week before Christmas I think. And I get many live animals (mainly land snails - but they also need warm temps) via special next day delivery, and haven't lost one yet.

fish get "posted" to your lfs anyway. I recieved an order from trimar.co.uk last week and all the fish arrived ( and survived) very well. I don't see a problem with it. It's really up o you. :D

yeah I've received them through the post just fine.

I wouldn't send them myself like that though for 2 reasons
1 - i don't know how to do it properly
2 - i'm a born worrier

those combined i think it would just be more hassle than it's worth, and i don't breed anything so only need to give fish away on the rare occasion I have to re-home someone

Thanks for all your replies.
I didn't realise that fish got "posted" to LFS, as stated above - ignorance is bliss, I guess!!!!

I guess the little blighters are more hardy than I first thought.

Sidenote: right, i'm off to find a website that posts adult blue whales.... not sure what size envelope/jiffy bag is required for that!!!!

Most reactions

Back