Fish Body Language

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 149562

So we all have our aquariums, many varieties of fish in them...we all enjoy just sitting and watching our fish

But do you REALLY watch them?

Do you know who is top dog, who is in the "in crowd" and who is struggling to fit in or is being bullied?

Do you know how to interpret your fish body language?

For example...the Betta

This fish has a very specific body language that is even more open when in a community aquarium setting and regardless of male or female.

The first sign that something is up......the Betta will lightly shield floating food with the tail and/or fins. After a few days or weeks that will escalate to tighter hugging of floating food and chasing/hugging sinking food

After a while the other fish in the aquarium will stay away from the feed hatch, gradually lowering their level in the aquarium and going for the odd scrap of food but not eagerly or in a relaxed way. You'll then start seeing the Betta "allowing" fish to swim past but he or she will snap their body back as if to nip the other fish.....this again will escalate over a short time til contact is made and the target fish has torn fins or tail or loses an eye or other body damage.

Slowly but surely the other fish will turn their back to the Betta, stay out of its way, always take last place at feed time....the target fish that the Betta has chosen will receive more injuries, become severely stressed and this will continue until that target is dead.

The killer attack generally happens after lights out at night. You only discover that something is wrong the next day and you have a dead or dying fish on the substrate.

The CAE (Chinese Algae Eater) is another one that you need to know how to handle. Ideally they should not be sold but they are and its important to know that they should never be placed in an aquarium with slow moving, slab sided fish like Gourami. Reason being is that they only eat algae when very young. They do not eat algae when fully grown (and they can, in the right conditions grow to over 6 inches long). Their preferred food is another fish's slimecoat. They will latch onto the side of a Gourami or similar fish after dark when the fish is dozing and it will scrape the slimecoat off along with a few scales, leaving a nasty graze like wound that is heavily infected. There is no cure for a fish that has been attacked by a CAE, it is a slow and painful death

To give an idea of how aggressive a CAE can be....this is footage, not mine, of a CAE taking on a Rainbow Shark...

So especially new fishkeepers, next time you sit and watch your fish....don't just watch them, study them cos you might just pick up behaviour that you need to deal with. All fish are capable of behaving badly, there will always be weaker fish that are bullied......if you can learn to identify behavioural traits in your fish you could save yourself and your fish a whole lot of problems such as fighting and bullying

The other problem with CAE’s is with the pet shops selling them as bottom feeders and not letting you know what they’re really capable of.

the pet shop only really cares if your going in there buying more fish in 6 months because the CAE they sold you got nasty...they don’t care what else is in the tank

The above posts are very good--thanks to @wasmewasntit and @fishyfun&fans. Of course, all of this trouble would/could be avoided if one does the necessary research before acquiring the "problem," as the examples cited are well established "problems." And never, ever taking the "advice" of store staff if you ask them about "x" fish, unless you know from experience the individual has the knowledge. But the issue of observing your fish is very important. Recognizing regular differences in the rate of respiration that occur in fish at various times during each day can alert you to trouble if this changes. Fish that have moved up or down in the water column from their normal position can indicate trouble.

male guppy's eyes turn black when they are pissed off with another fish in the tank, usually another male guppy.

Never watch your tank closeup. Sit back at least 10 feet and watch. Fish never behave normally when they know they are being watched.

I can look at most cichlid tanks and understand it within a hour or so just what I’m used to they way they act and display there self gives you a real good idea of the hierarchy.. do I know who is boss of my group of Colombian tetra .. no not a clue they all look the same act the same and just get on with it , they will have a group leader but would take an eye that is used to tetra behaviour to see it

I can look at most cichlid tanks and understand it within a hour or so just what I’m used to they way they act and display there self gives you a real good idea of the hierarchy.. do I know who is boss of my group of Colombian tetra .. no not a clue they all look the same act the same and just get on with it , they will have a group leader but would take an eye that is used to tetra behaviour to see it
Cichlids are great. When I bought Credit and Debit my Discus. I walked into a LFS stood back from the tanks and said to my wife, those two fish are a pair I have to have them. We put one on the credit card the other on the debit card. They spawned multiple times, but never wanted to be parents. Mind you they were a great purchase and I loved them dearly.

Well as I’ve found out this morning both the loaches the lps sold me are CAE’s I’ve got rid of the albino one but the regular one doesn’t wanna be caught!

What should I say upon returning the 2nd CAE to the shop

Should I just go in now all guns blazing and tell them there terrible at research and that I’m majorly annoyed or just take it in dump it back on them and not say a single word?

What would have more impact?

Well as I’ve found out this morning both the loaches the lps sold me are CAE’s I’ve got rid of the albino one but the regular one doesn’t wanna be caught!

What should I say upon returning the 2nd CAE to the shop

Should I just go in now all guns blazing and tell them there terrible at research and that I’m majorly annoyed or just take it in dump it back on them and not say a single word?

What would have more impact?
The former, with the threat of social media exposure.

I know you said you don't use it, but they don't know that. ;)

(Don't forget your spare pack of aerator bubbles).

On reflection, whilst my approach may be more satisfying in the short term...
Given you've experienced a whole range of 'issues', I'd certainly advocate a private discussion with the Manager of the establishment.
Their response should tell you all you need to know.
If it's a franchise shop, then there'll be a whole system above said manager and they would have an official complaints procedure.

On reflection, whilst my approach may be more satisfying in the short term...
Given you've experienced a whole range of 'issues', I'd certainly advocate a private discussion with the Manager of the establishment.
Their response should tell you all you need to know.
If it's a franchise shop, then there'll be a whole system above said manager and they would have an official complaints procedure.
It’s just a family run place the manager has another business as well as his pet shop his staff deal with the fish....not very well in my oppinion

I had a quiet word yesterday upon returning the first CAE

I’ve always until now bought everything for my tank from that shop

I put my trust in that shop

Most reactions

Back