First time for me. Fish by post.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dam Buster

Reaction score
My 150 ltr tank was looking bare before our first lockdown. I've worked all the time but didn't want to risk any shops and it's a bit of a journey to the best shop. I decided to order online from Aquatics to your door, this was based on descent reviews online and a couple of my sons friends recommendation. I ordered 10 mixed rainbows and 10 galaxy rasboras. They arrived yesterday before 10am. Very well packaged with insulation and heat packs. I introduced them to the tank slowly in semi darkness, let them settle for a couple of hours and gave them a small feed. They quickly disposed of that and are now swimming around happy as a fish can be.
They were described as juvenile but you can spot the rasboras easily as they already have feint markings. There is definitely a pair of threadfin rainbows but it's still hard to tell the rest. Looking forward to watching them grow. I'll post a couple of pictures if I can get some to bore you even more ?. Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Attachments

• IMG_20210220_185917.jpg
    IMG_20210220_185917.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20210220_185854.jpg
    IMG_20210220_185854.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20210220_185831.jpg
    IMG_20210220_185831.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 57
Thanks for the info. I got them from aquaticstoyourdoor.co.uk. They're based near Gatwick Airport and are open for collection if anyone lives locally.

Is this what you bought?

According to that, you should have 2 each of Boesemani, red, slender, turquoise and dwarf rainbows. They don't mention featherfin rainbows in the description but your photo shows you have some.

Some of these rainbows will grow too big for a 150 litre tank, though it does depend on what exactly they sent you, since the featherfins aren't in the description of 'mixed rainbows'. Of the fish they do list, red, turquoise (lacustris) and Boeseman rainbows need a tank 120 cm long. Featherfins, dwarf neon, and slender rainbows are OK in 150 litres.
And most rainbows are shoaling fish which need a group of their own kind, though some species may shoal together. Colin_T knows a lot about rainbowfish, so listen to what he says about them.

I’ve noticed this company on the internet. I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.
Any company who know and care about fish so little that they send out random fish packages taking into account nothing regarding ph, dh, tank size etc will never get my custom even for a specific fish that my parameters suit.
They don’t even pretend to match up the needs of the fish in their own variety packages.
Avoid at your own peril.

The tank is 122 cm long 30 wide and 38 deep, on the tank calculator at the bottom of the page it says its 139 litres. The rasboras seem to stick together more than any of the rainbows who all are exploring the tank on their own. From what's been said I assume this behaviour may be due to them being juvenile and this may change the older they get. I'm going to keep updating you all with pictures so we'll see what I end up with. To be honest as long as they're nice and happy I'm not fussed which they are. It would be a bit of a black mark for the website if they turned out to be different than advertised which would be a shame. If I was a gambling man I'd take bets ?? but I'm not. Thanks again for the info.

Your tank size is fine for rainbowfish, however it depends on the pH and GH. Rainbows do best in water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 200ppm.

The Melanotaenia boesemani and M. lacustris will hang out together.

The Iriatherina will hang out on their own or they might hang around the rasboras.

The M. praecox will probably try to hang out with the lacustris and boesemani but might get bullied by the bigger males.

The slender rainbow concerns me. The picture on the website shows Melanotaenia gracilis. These fish are extremely rare in Australia where they originate from, so they could be anything in the USA.

If you can post pictures of all the new fish, I can try to identify them or you can check them against the images in the following link.

Pictures would be best so we can ID them for you.

Sorry for the delay, struggling to get many decent photos but I've attached a few for your perusal. The tank pH is 7.42 but I've no idea on the GH. I have looked on the water suppliers website and can only find total hardness, is this the same?

Attachments

• IMG_20210222_210122.jpg
    IMG_20210222_210122.jpg
    627.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20210222_210045.jpg
    IMG_20210222_210045.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20210222_181348.jpg
    IMG_20210222_181348.jpg
    633.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20210222_181255.jpg
    IMG_20210222_181255.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 50
Yes, total hardness is GH. You need the unit of measurement as well since UK water companies tend to use units not used in fish keeping so we need to convert.

There are 2 Melanotaenia praecox (neon rainbow). They both look like males. Males have red fins and red tail, females have yellow or orange fins and tail.

There looks like 2 male Iriatherina werneri. (threadfin rainbows).

The "slender rainbow" looks like a Madagascan rainbow. They like hard water with a pH above 7.0, same as most rainbows.

You need a few more of each species. :)

Most reactions

Back