First tank setup

I have to agree there is no need to go and purchase a filter just for polishing the water.

Polishing is simply making the water crystal clear as anything, can be real nice having clear water, shows off the colours of fish and plants etc.

There are a couple of ways of doing this, easiest and cheapest method is to add a layer of filter wool which can easily be bought online, avoid paying pricey filter floss from LFS at inflated prices, something like this will work fine and is something I’ve used before.

There are all sorts of differing sizes and thicknesses available at various prices.

I tend to buy 2 meters rolls at around 8-12mm thick and simply cut out the size of floss suitable for my filter and simply add that to main tank filter and change it every water change. Pretty straightforward really.

Just ensure the floss/will is not treated chemically or has any fragrance added etc.

Or if you have a small spare filter lying around, I used a spare small hob and filled that with sponge and floss, works nicely.

But it’s definitely an extra that is not strictly necessary but I liked doing it for my own peace of mind is all.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the suggestions , they do sell a polishing filter for my fx4 but I’m going to hold off for now , it’s already gotten slightly better.(thanks to everyone telling me to wait🙏🏼)I thought I screwed up something earlier because there were tons of tiny little dots floating around , was just micro bubbles 😮‍💨😂 got that fixed. I’m having trouble deciding on real vs fake plants , I’ve read the benefits/cons , any suggestions/feedback having live plants for a beginner ?

Has anyones cycle skipped nitrites?
got a tiny bit of filter media from lfs
ammonia is being consumed
Day 1
Ammonia 2
No2 .5
No3 5
Ph 7.6

day 2
Ammonia 1.5
No2 .5
No3 10
Ph 7.4

I’m having trouble deciding on real vs fake plants , I’ve read the benefits/cons , any suggestions/feedback having live plants for a beginner ?
Lol that is quite the question to ask on here :) There are a lot of us that are very "pro live plants" so I think you are going to get a lot of "yes, get plants".

There is another discussion going on about easy to grow plants which would be worth checking out:

Plants help keep the water clear and give fish an area they feel safe and secure in which reduces stress and therefore illnesses. For the majority of tropical fish species I kind of consider it an essential part of the tank setup now.

Fake plants need no care and do not die on you.
Fake plants act as surfaces for beneficial bacteria and useful algae to grow on.
Fake plants provide shade and a sense of security for fish.
Fake plants can act as a nursery for eggs and fry.
Fake plants can be cleaned with normal detergents and bleaches, (provided, of course, that they are thoroughly rinsed afterwards).

Some fake plants can have sharp edges, which have been known to cause damage to some fish.
Some fake plants, especially the cheaper ones, have a plastic that will become brittle over time and can break or just crack, leaving nasty sharp edges.
(Both of these negatives can be countered by buying silk fake plants. These are more expensive, but if fakes were your only option, then these are the ones to get. Just note that you can't clean these with bleach solutions).

Lol that is quite the question to ask on here :) There are a lot of us that are very "pro live plants" so I think you are going to get a lot of "yes, get plants".

There is another discussion going on about easy to grow plants which would be worth checking out:

Plants help keep the water clear and give fish an area they feel safe and secure in which reduces stress and therefore illnesses. For the majority of tropical fish species I kind of consider it an essential part of the tank setup now.
Thank you , I’m going to try to make a tree 😅 , just ordered a driftwood , think I’ll try flame moss to get started

Attachments

• 2589D6BA-EB11-4CEF-B3A6-DDD8DDB126DE.png
    2589D6BA-EB11-4CEF-B3A6-DDD8DDB126DE.png
    322.3 KB · Views: 39
I should have some pics tomorrow of the tank , half way done with decorations . Cycle completed two days ago , big shout out to angel plus filters! Does anyone know where to find “brilliant white tetras” ? I’ve searched but can’t find anything similar , aquaticarts is out of stock , no ETA.

Slowly coming along , a lot of decorating left to do but here’s the tank so far:
Clown killi, toucan tetras , cardinal tetras , rummy tetras , rainbow fish , panda loaches(will go to secondary tank) zebra pleco next week

Attachments

• 285E627D-93B4-4286-94FC-E212B15E28C6.jpeg
    285E627D-93B4-4286-94FC-E212B15E28C6.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 38
Slowly coming along , a lot of decorating left to do but here’s the tank so far:
Clown killi, toucan tetras , cardinal tetras , rummy tetras , rainbow fish , panda loaches(will go to secondary tank) zebra pleco next week
Love 😍 the tree - that’s brilliant 😀

Most reactions

Back