First Tank Day 6

Fingers68

Reaction score
It is with a great deal of gratitude to my flying friend Stuart Bertram who handily just so happened to be part of D-D The Aquarium Solution that I can proudly persent my first aquarium.

First_tank.jpg

First_tank1.jpg

First_tank2.jpg

First_tank3.jpg

First_tank4.jpg

First_tank5.jpg

Mature water, rock and with the od bit of coral here and there! thanks again Stu. :)

3 fish only in there at the mo and trying my damnedest to keep out the fish shop and be patient.

My first go at trying to photograh a fish tank, its not the simplest of tasks. Even with 4 T5's there does not seem enough light, maybe a temporary light sorce is needed? any tip on this would be gladly taken.

Woah, amazing tank, really nice!

out of interest what size is it? looks really big

At a recent aquarium conference I went to I was amazed that half or more of the people there seemed to be like professional fashion photographers, with huge cameras, lenses and flash equipment. When the shot tanks, they would set up slave flashes from the sides and sometimes a smaller one in back of the tank through translucent material to give the appearance of natural light through the water. I noticed that when they didn't take the time to set up slave flashes, they would detach a hand flash, stretching the cord from the camera and hold it over the tank top (they had previously removed the tank top) and light the tank with that flash during the exposures.

(personaly I know nothing about photography.. just observed this)

~~waterdrop~~
ps. nice tank!

Woah, amazing tank, really nice!

out of interest what size is it? looks really big

Thanks

Its a Juwel 180 Vision

40 gallons

At a recent aquarium conference I went to I was amazed that half or more of the people there seemed to be like professional fashion photographers, with huge cameras, lenses and flash equipment. When the shot tanks, they would set up slave flashes from the sides and sometimes a smaller one in back of the tank through translucent material to give the appearance of natural light through the water. I noticed that when they didn't take the time to set up slave flashes, they would detach a hand flash, stretching the cord from the camera and hold it over the tank top (they had previously removed the tank top) and light the tank with that flash during the exposures.

~~waterdrop~~
ps. nice tank!

I thought a flash might be needed, being into landscape I dont have a flash so I guess I will have to ad it to the list of "need to have"

Very nice tank indeed,only a 40g? wow the way those pics are taken it looks like some undersea kingdom,looks huuuge.very cool. would love a marine tank. :)

UPDATE

Day 12

Skimmer now been active for 7 days. After some very aggressive blooms of green I seem to have it under control with the help of RowaPhos. Without this I think the tank and everything in it would be very green.

Water quality seems good and all seems well, so added a Regal Tang "Droy" (with two little ones, you can guess which way this tank will end up).

tn_IMG_5301.JPG

question if I may.

I have two Rio 800 powerheads, one either end, one pointing to the surface the other across the front of the reef. Is this enough for a 180L tank.? There is some "slow" flowing areas but on the whole it looks like there is a nice rotation of water. I have seen some setups where the water is rushing round the tank at 100 mph and it looks nothing like peaceful, more hurricane like. I would rather not go the hurricane way but do like the corral very much.

So

What is considered enough movement of water.?

~~waterdrop~~
ps. nice tank!

I do a decent amount of photography as well, and thats not surprising to see people using slave flashes in that way. It'd be totally different than trying to light a person or building, but I imagine they're just trying to get as much natural looking light in the tank so you don't have any dark or shadowy corners and areas. I've shot a few of my fish with just a camera mounted flash, and it does a decent job, but have the light at different angles like you saw would be far better.

If I went to a convention like that I'd be a drooling mess, between all the camera equipment and fancy fish tanks :drool:

~~waterdrop~~
ps. nice tank!

I do a decent amount of photography as well, and thats not surprising to see people using slave flashes in that way. It'd be totally different than trying to light a person or building, but I imagine they're just trying to get as much natural looking light in the tank so you don't have any dark or shadowy corners and areas. I've shot a few of my fish with just a camera mounted flash, and it does a decent job, but have the light at different angles like you saw would be far better.

If I went to a convention like that I'd be a drooling mess, between all the camera equipment and fancy fish tanks :drool:
Yup, that's what it was :lol: Quite a few very fancy tanks, tons of camera equipment and dozens of little "guys in black" running around doing things for Amano, if you know what I mean :lol:
-wd-

I have no idea on the power head question, you might try posting in the saltwater part of the forum. We can all admire what you have done because the tank is beautiful, but you are posting in the freshwater newbie section and not as many here will be able to help you.

I have no idea on the power head question, you might try posting in the saltwater part of the forum. We can all admire what you have done because the tank is beautiful, but you are posting in the freshwater newbie section and not as many here will be able to help you.

AHH, I did not realise, can a mod move this post into the correct forum please?

Thanks Old Man

Yes, sorry to get off on the camera stuff Fingers68! I agree with OM47, you need to be over in the marine section as most of those members hang out mostly over there, although some of the very experienced ones are pretty good about popping in over here at times too. You could post up your questions over there and include a link (See the little "BB Code Help button, lower right? even has help for beautifying your link!) if you don't want to wait for a mod-move.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back