First question from tank newbie

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

smarties

Reaction score
Okay history is this: I have a 24 hour old tank that is up and running. I have added the bacteria and some food and de-chlorinator and am now waiting and planning. My tank is 800mm x 300mm x 450mm high. It holds 21 uk gallons and has a fluval 4 filter (I upgraded from the fluval 2 that came with the package). I would like to start when the time is right with a few shoaling fish but am unsure of type (want nice colours) and qty (smaller the better to begin) around 6 or 7 would be ideal. These fish would then help complete the cycle process before adding better/nicer fish though I want them to be hardy fish. Any advice appreciated. I am off on my hols for a week on Thursday so the tank will have been running for around 11 days when I get back.

I am wondering, should I turn the light off as there is no fish or plants in there at the moment and just leave the filter running or should I leave it on?

Thanks again all

Smarties

Hi smarties

During a fishless cycle, you will not need the light on at any poing. Before you go away, add fome more food to the tank, to keep the ammonia production going.

Have a nice holiday.

By leaving the lights off you may end up with brown algae, by leaving them on all the time, green algae. I'd recomend putting them on timers for about 12 hours of light per day

Fish or fishless cycle?

While you're away you could try one of those slow release feeding blocks to keep the cycle going.

Whats your water parameters like - its easier to get fish that fit your conditions than try and change your water make-up :thumbs:

:)

wetwetwet said:
Fish or fishless cycle?

Whats your water parameters like
Well I have a test kit for my pond does PH, Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrites. Will these tests suffice or should I test for more being an aquarium. It is a fishless cycle (intended anyway). I have someone staying in the house to watch my dogs and cats so they flick the light on and off I guess.

Smarties :rolleyes:

yep those tests seem fine...

Nothing in the tank then don't worry about lights - but as said you need to keep the ammonia production going so get your house sitters to put a pinch (small) of food into the tank every couple of days or so...

have a nice time :thumbs:

:)

id say leave the light off and the curtains open that way some light will get to the tank perhaps you will get brown and green and they will fight it out.

Most reactions

Back