First Platy

blaxicanlatino

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just bought platy about an hour ago. She is a Sunburst female platy and is pregnant. I want to put her a 10 gallon tank but its currnely occupied by a betta. First I want to confirm that she is disease, infection, bacteria, ick, etc free. I should I go about doing this? She is now staying in a 1 gallon tank ( I know its smal but its all I got and shes only staying in there for about 3 days until I confirm she is disease free) anything else I should know?

I also noticed that her gill are EXTREMELY red, is this normal? :cool:

I dont have a pic. I just want to know what red gills mean. And I how to decontaminate the platy from its old homw without endangering the fry

you should generally quarintine new fish for 2 weeks not three days. and red gills could just be her color.

because some illnesses come on really slow so it would really help if u kept her in for one-two weeks

one gallon is far too small for her for any length of time. You'd be better to temporarily put the fighter in there and put her in the ten gal or to get a 2 or 5 gal bucket with an air driven filter in it. I've qt'd livebearers in covered buckets before with no problems. Everybody seems to have this thing against putting fish in anything that isn't made of glass - some of my fish live permanently in plastic bins.

Red gills could be anything from flukes, stress from poor water quality to her natural colouration. We really would need to see a pic to be able to tell you if it's normal or not.

yes i agree, pics please before diagnosis. :)

I wish i could have apic but I dont have a proper camera. The 10 gallon that I have is the only tank I have besides 2, one gallon tanks. Wouldnt the 10 gallon become infected if I introduce her?

Depends on whether she has anything or not.
I'd really recommend putting her in a bucket or a storage container. You can quite easily set up a five gallon kitchen container with an airstone or an air driven filter, fill it up, put some water treatment in it, cover it and leave her in that. It's not as easy to observe her in there but she will be far less stressed than being left in a one gallon tank.

yeah, you right. I just bought another platy ( white mickey mouse platy (female)) And she is also currenly in a 1 G (sepeate tank) I think ill go ahead and move the pregnant platy to the 10 gallon tank because she doesnt look too happy. And she isnt eating

some fish don't eat when they are pregnant and about to drop, also they may look ill and act ill.

well, i went ahead and moved the platys to the 10 gallon tank. The pregnant platy still hasnt eaten since last week and the other platy has stopped eating also. All the platy do is stay at the top of the water and drift around. Very lathargic. The betta is doing fine. I just put in an Amazon sword plant in the tank.

Maybe I should but some live brine shrimp to encourage eating and maybe some freeze dried foods.

Most reactions

Back