First Planted Tank

Joe_Shafe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I've done my research and I'm going to start a 10 gallon planted tank with about 10-14, 1-3 inch fish. I don't want an immense amount of plants just enough for the fish to hide and counteract the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates produced by the fish. I have the materials (I think) to set it up. I will have Flourite and sand as a substrate, a Marineland Single Bright 18-24" LED lighting system (unsure if this enough light) a Penguin 150 Power filter (carbon removed), A 50 watt heater, and another homemade strictly biological filter. I plan on adding the substrate and water tomorrow as well as the filter, heater, light etc. Then I'll let that sit for a day or so and then add my plants. Then I'll let that sit for a week to two weeks checking the PH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels until its cycled (I'm doing a silent cycle) after that I'll be adding 4-5 pygmy corys then the rest of the fish later on.

So the things I would like answered if possible are; Is this enough light? What plants and how many would you recommend? Do I need a CO2 system? And just a general am I headed in the right direction?

I know this is a lot and I know I probably won't get all my questions answered but this forum has been great to me so far and I just needed some more help.

Thanks,
-Joe :)

Low Light plant system 1 watt per gallon. Medium light system 2 watts per gallon. High light system 3+ watts per gallon.

I looked up the light you want to use and could not find watts but the site did say it was comparable to a Fluorescent tube. I did however find that the Lumen output is 300. Divide 300 by 10 and you will have 30 lumen per gallon. 60 lumen per gallon is a low light system or the minimum suggested for low light aquatic plants. I do not have experience with LED lighting for plants but have read that LED light output varies between LED's. You can buy high output LED's.

As for plants I suggest low light plants such as Anubias, Apopongetons, Water Lilies, and crypts. If you go with bunched plants, the bottom of the stem may go bare with the top most leaves remaining. If you plant behind say a rock of wood, you can hind the bare lower part of the plant. This will happen for 2 reasons. 1. The plant isn't getting enough light, and 2. The lower leaves are not getting enough light. So, the plany utilizes all the energy it can find to stretch up towards the light sacrificing the lower leaves.

Moving in the right direction. I am the kind of person who gets the ball rolling and then try to keep it moving. The technology is advanced, but you'll need more than one of those LED lights. Right now you should spend the money on more light and hold off on the CO2.

Most reactions

Back