First Fish In Tank

Jamie1985

Reaction score
Hi all just a quick thread on my tank, as the title says ive added the first of many fish to my tank.

After a week of cycling my tank and making sure the water was acceptable i added the fish 4 x Labidochromis caeruleus am unable to identify sex at the moment and 3 x kenyi 2 females (blue) 1 male (yellow).

Id love to add more colour to the tank so suggestions would be very welcome.

Id like to add a few afra jalo reef :wub: love the striking colours(not sure if this would work in my tank though!).

Many Thanks

Jamie

The jalo reef's will be fine id be careful with the metriaclima lombardoi (kenyi male) he could be a problem and be really aggressive as their known to be. Depends what you can get hold of? Do you have excess to many species of mbuna? :)

What size is your tank and how did you fully cycle it in a week?

I fully cycled it with the AQUA FILTER GEL its a live bacteria which you put on the filter sponges then test the water after 24 hours then everyday after, I had a huge bloom i completed a 25 litre water change on the third day and a 50 litre change on the 5th tested water and was all stable took a sample to LFS to double check as ive never used a live bacteria before!

I have a 240 litre tank with an FX5 external filter not the biggest tank i know but dont have room or the money for a bigger tank

The only choice of mbuna i have is from my LFS or a place on the net from tonys cichlids which i havnt tried yet but they look amazing has anyone used him before would you recommend him?

Regards

Jamie

I fully cycled it with the AQUA FILTER GEL its a live bacteria which you put on the filter sponges then test the water after 24 hours then everyday after, I had a huge bloom i completed a 25 litre water change on the third day and a 50 litre change on the 5th tested water and was all stable took a sample to LFS to double check as ive never used a live bacteria before!

I have a 240 litre tank with an FX5 external filter not the biggest tank i know but dont have room or the money for a bigger tank

The only choice of mbuna i have is from my LFS or a place on the net from tonys cichlids which i havnt tried yet but they look amazing has anyone used him before would you recommend him?

Regards

Jamie

Yeah i used him before elise i think has used him before as well.. There is a lot of debating on cichlid forums about where people get their malawi's from. Tony's fish are kept in perfect water basically which is a good thing but some people are arguing about it. im trying to find the topic on the other forum but having no luck :( (its hard to explain really there is just a lot of controversy in the african cichlid hobby atm about buying fish) His fish are amazing, brilliant and healthy so if you can get some from him then go for it :)..

Regards

Jamie

Yeah i used him before elise i think has used him before as well.. There is a lot of debating on cichlid forums about where people get their malawi's from. Tony's fish are kept in perfect water basically which is a good thing but some people are arguing about it. im trying to find the topic on the other forum but having no luck :( (its hard to explain really there is just a lot of controversy in the african cichlid hobby atm about buying fish) His fish are amazing, brilliant and healthy so if you can get some from him then go for it :)..

I have seen hes website and must admit i fell in love with the fish he was selling but the fish i purchased from my LFS are only small so dont want to order from him until their roughly the same size try to keep aggession to a minimum he has a wider variety of cichlids than my LFS

Regards

Jamie

I have seen hes website and must admit i fell in love with the fish he was selling but the fish i purchased from my LFS are only small so dont want to order from him until their roughly the same size try to keep aggession to a minimum he has a wider variety of cichlids than my LFS

Where in the UK u based?

Thinking of breeders near by but im not sure who's aboutwhere you are.

Ok thank you appreciate it i was told by a bloke in my LFS there is somebody in leatherhead who is a cichlid breeder which is about 40 mins away from me just waiting to hear from him for contact numbers etc once i do il speak to them and see if i can post there details on here

Ok thank you appreciate it i was told by a bloke in my LFS there is somebody in leatherhead who is a cichlid breeder which is about 40 mins away from me just waiting to hear from him for contact numbers etc once i do il speak to them and see if i can post there details on here

try aquarist-classifieds mate some good breeders on there they could be near by :good:

I had the opposite experience I didnt get good fish from tony his line breds are good the rest not so good but found his prices steep!

check this guy out! http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail100_114015.php

Most reactions

Back