First Bogwood

Tish Fank

Reaction score
im toying with the idea of getting my first pice of bogwood but hear it can turn your milk chocolaty sorry turn your water brown, and it some boil it or soak it etc so im a bit confused as to exactly what i need to do.

I boiled mine for about an hour, replaced the water then boiled it again.

Then i put it in a bucket of water for about 2 days and left it to soak changing the water every now and then.

Worked well. It didnt float and it also didnt tan my water.

i just gave mine a quick rinse in hot water, although i don't mind the tannings, i think it looks more natural too :good:

Boiling it for a little while is a good idea anyways, just to get any nasties out of it before you put it in the tank. After that you can continue to remove all the tannins, or put it in your tank with some activated carbon (replacing regularly) to remove tannins that way.

Or, leave them and just let the levels naturally reduce over time and with water changes.

think ill go with a boil and soak approach for as long as i can, not realy keen on the tanning water thing. i know some fish like to suck on bogwood, does that mean it will eventually deteriorate and need replacing?

I've read accounts of members who left theirs in buckets on the back patio for very long periods soaking. They would pour kettles of boiling water over them whenever they had time... week, 2weeks?

I boiled our bogwood a couple of times, and soaked it in a bucket for 2 weeks.
It still leaches tannins into the water. Hey-ho.

I've read accounts of members who left theirs in buckets on the back patio for very long periods soaking. They would pour kettles of boiling water over them whenever they had time... week, 2weeks?
I've got a very big piece in soak, it's been there 2 weeks now and I change the boiled water every 2 days. It's still leaching a bit but as I'm in no hurry it doesn't matter.

I've got a very big piece in soak, it's been there 2 weeks now and I change the boiled water every 2 days. It's still leaching a bit but as I'm in no hurry it doesn't matter.
I have had mine in soak for a week with regular boiling water changes and scrubbing has slowed down the tanning so put it back in the tank now have a funny milky jelly fish looking stuff all over it. Been back to Maidenhead aquatics and was told it's a bacterial growth and if I were to put a couple of algae eaters they would clear it up. As I pointed out to them again I am 1 week into fishless cycling so adding fish is not an option. So have been told to put it back into boiling water with salt for a week. Will let you know how I get on

I soaked mine for an afternoon, it didn't leach any tannins into the bath it was sitting in so I put it in the tank. Hasn't leached a bit yet. I think it depends on your bit of bogwood tbh...

If it's Zoo Med Mopani, good luck. You can boil it all you want, soak for a month and it still turns the water in the soaking container brown. I'm putting it out in the sun now, hopefully that will do the trick. I've tried everything and it still leaches tannins.

Most reactions

Back