First Aquarium! Any thoughts

Here is a link for fish less cycling https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

It will be a little different with the fish you already have in there. The fish you have are producing the ammonia so you dont have to add it. Fish-in cycle sometimes takes longer because you must do daily water changes to keep the ammonia at 0. This is why you need a test kit.

So what you would do is test the water. If the ammonia or nitrite is above 0 you would do a 50-75% water change to lower it back to 0. Do this daily. Ammonia and nitrite is toxic to fish.

Eventually the beneficial bacteria will form and it will eat your ammonia. At this point you will only have to do weekly water changes of 50%

im likely going to get one tommorow

im likely going to get one tommorow is the master kit worth it
Yes the master test kit is definitely worth it

should i get some of that bottled bacteria stuff
Yes. That will give it jump start. Tetra safe start plus is what I recommend. You will still have to do the water changes to keep it at 0 tho :)

Yes. That will give it jump start. Tetra safe start plus is what I recommend. You will still have to do the water changes to keep it at 0 tho :)
is there a larger shrimp that i could have with smaller ones or are they cannibals

is there a larger shrimp that i could have with smaller ones or are they cannibals
Amano shrimp are a little bit larger. Dont get whisker shrimp or wood shrimp or vampire shrimp, those ones will eat them

thanks for the help do you recomend any plants that would be good
Floating plants like frogbit and salvinia as well as anarchis and hornwort. Maybe some anubias too.

are duckweeds good
Yes, but no... they are good for water quality but quickly grow to the point of taking over the tank. Salvinia is a good one that looks similar but dosent take over

Most reactions

Back