Firemouths Info Required

Soundspeedy

Reaction score
Hi all
Ive been searching the net for information on firemouths.
But, the info that ive come up with varies, so, i thought id ask for some more info.
I have a tank that currently consists of 1 fully grown Rokteil Sev, 1 blue acara, 1 ghost angelfish, 2 black widow tetras.
So,
What is the temprement of firemouths?
Would keeping only one make it less aggresive?
Would one be sompatible in my tank?
Thanks
Danny

What sized tank do you have?
a single specimen would be compatible with your existing fish, but it depends on the tank size

I would say a firemouth would work well with the fish you have but try and get a bigger one so it does not get picked on too much. They are normaly good about not digging too much.

I would say a firemouth would work well with the fish you have but try and get a bigger one so it does not get picked on too much. They are normaly good about not digging too much.

Personal opinion of Firemouths is to keep them with more robust aggressive fish....everytime i have tried them in the past (which is alot!! because i love them) they have got to aggressive/territorial....when i had my big 10" Severums...they were only about 3-4" and they were harassing them to the point where they would not come out.

After about 6-7 attempts with diff Firemouths i gave up....I also found a Blue Acara is a definite no-no...they fight like hell with them.

Firemouths are very similar to Convicts in temperament...just not as tough, but they do bug the hell out of everything so deffo not one to go with your 'prize fish'.

I was thinking about getting a couple earlier to house with my Green Terrors till they get bigger...i think that mix would work well.

Yes definitely...although i have tried and failed that also on numerous occasions.

I have managed to mix them with Angels with no bother,....but any fish that is similar body shape ends up fodder to Firemouths.....ie: Geophagus species, Placid Acara species, Rainbow Cichlids etc.

I'll give you a brief list of what i have mixed them with....again I LOVE Firemouths...so deffo not hating on them.

Didnt work =

Severums
Festivums
Geophagus Brasilensis
Convicts (they would either fight or breed/hybridise...no steady even)
Threadfin Acara/Geophagus (Hecklii)
Blue Acara
Gold Acara

Did Work =

Angels
Oscar
Green Terror
Black Widow Tetras
Tiger Barbs
Kissing Gourami
Tri-Spot Gourami

Most reactions