Fire Belly Newts

bunjiweb

mmmmmmmarines
Reaction score
A guy at work gave me these 2 because he decided to break down his vivarium. They are housed in a "Rena Kid" aquarium with a small filter, some water with gravel leading up to one side and a piece of bogwood in the centre for them to bask on.

firebelly1.jpg

firebelly2.jpg

Ben

:) Hey!

I have a FBN, and have had him for over 18 yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got him when I lived at home, now im married with two boys!

I was at home in 1987, and I had him then!

His name is Sammy! and everyone we know loves him!

By the way, i live in Hucclecote!

cheers Ian

Nice! What beautifal newts!

Just make sure you do water changes regulaly because as you tank is only half full it'll get messier quickly than usual and because Firebellies also excrete mild toxis from their skin.

wow! :drool:

im glad i found this thread because i have the exact same tank (rena kid) in a hexagon shape with a mirror on the back and i am looking for a small amphibian/invertebrate to house it. does yours have a mirror and how did you cover it?

do you have any more information on fire bellied newts or any other small critters i could keep in this particular tank please?

:thumbs:

I didnt cover the mirror, it is completely as is, although i have replaced the pygmy bulb it comes with with a 8" flouro bulb.

You could probably keep a dwarf aquatic frog in the same tank with them but i am only planning on keeping these 2 fellas in there.

Anyone have any ideas what plants i could use? Thinking of getting some Java fern.

Ben

i LOVE these little guys, i've wanted a couple for years! maybe when i move house we will get some, they are gorgeous! :wub:

what filter do you use in there, coz obviously there isn't too much water to cover a larger filter? also what do you feed them?

thanks

kat :)

18 years, I had no idea. Mine always seemed rather fragile, but it was in my younger days before I knew about the best ways to keep a tank. I also love these little newts. I believe they originate in Japan, anyone know for sure?

i LOVE these little guys, i've wanted a couple for years! maybe when i move house we will get some, they are gorgeous! :wub:

what filter do you use in there, coz obviously there isn't too much water to cover a larger filter? also what do you feed them?

thanks

I use a mini filter which measures only about 4x10x4cm. I feed them bloodwoorm and they seem to have taken a fancy to fine mussels.

Ben

I have a very basic 8" flouro tube on the tank, and NO heating at all, as I have read in many places that they prefer cooler water and will generally not actually venture in to the water for long periods of time unless the water is below 70F.

Ben

awesome.. what make is your filter... sorry for all the questions :*) but i am seriously considering getting myself a couple of these little guys when we move! i love them.. :wub:

It's called an Elite-Mini (A-130)

There are also minature filters made by Resun which work well in amphibian tanks.

Ben

Most reactions

Back