finrot?? **added pics**

It's not fin rot. The edges are too clean and straight, and it happened too fast. Either he caught it in the filter, or he chewed it himself. If you let him flare at another male, sometimes they get excited and chew their own tails. The salt would help, and I always use full strength Melafix. I've never had a problem with it, and haven't heard of anyone else having issues except for some on this board. There may be something to it, but I haven't experienced it myself. I think I will ask some of the breeders who raise a couple thousand fry or more a yr. See if any of them have had any problems.

Well his tail is getting better but now his dorsal fin is looking ragged. :( I have the filter intake covered and his plants are all silk, although one has a sawtooth edge. I've never seen him chew his fins but I guess if it's not finrot that or the plants are the only thing it could be I guess. Should I take out that plant? Would it cause a problem?

Attachments

• betta4.jpg
    betta4.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 26
Just noticed that you can see the plant in that picture. So you can see how the edges are-it seems to be his favorite plant but I can take it out and put the other plant there instead.

ok more questions. If he was chewing his tail would I find bits of tail in the tank? Or would he chew them so small they wouldn't be easily seen?

I got some melafix tonight but will put it in there tomorrow in case it gives him any problems. Maybe it's just my imagination but I feel like his anal fin is now getting ragged.

Most reactions

Back