finding nemo

What do you think

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • love it

• Total voters
yeah i do agree that some children see the film and want a nemo or dory and rush out and get one! but i suppose that could happen with any film,they could see 101 dalmations and start asking.Im not getting into another debate about it though *laughts out loud*

great movie. I don't think it ruined anything. If anything, it raised awareness of just how cool fish really are. Sure there are kids who get a clownfish, or dottyback or such because they saw it in the movie, and then they don't take care of it...but thats hardly the movie's fault. Thats on the parents for being idiots and getting their kids fish that they won't take care of. Irresponsible parenting, not irresponsible moviemaking.

There is an article in this months PFK about nemo, I can't seem to find it on their website yet.
is there anyone that gets PFk, that would like to post the gist of the article?

Fishy411 said:
a lot of people wished they would have put a disclaimer on it because of all the kids keeping fish in inadequate environments. personally i loved this movie
[snapback]864565[/snapback]​

And a disclaimer would've matter how to children? Children don't read disclaimers or necessarily understand them when they do. Parents should know better than to rush out and buy a saltwater fish for their children especially when they realize how much it would cost to set up even a 10 gallon tank for one. As it's in vogue here as well, blame the LFS employees for not being more specific in how difficult it can be to keep saltwater fish either.

So blaming the movie is just a cheap cop out to not blame parents for not being more stringent in their parenting and saying "No, you can't have a Nemo, they're too expensive and delicate to keep." I swear it's as bad as the mothers who buy Grand Theft Auto for their kids then are shocked to learn about the violence and language in the game and sue the game maker, Walmart and anyone else they can for their own lack of parenting. :rolleyes:

i didnt think much of it. btw has anyone been to typhoon lagoon shark pool. where they make you play dory says to put a damn snorkle on.

Teelie said:
Fishy411 said:
a lot of people wished they would have put a disclaimer on it because of all the kids keeping fish in inadequate environments. personally i loved this movie
[snapback]864565[/snapback]​

And a disclaimer would've matter how to children? Children don't read disclaimers or necessarily understand them when they do. Parents should know better than to rush out and buy a saltwater fish for their children especially when they realize how much it would cost to set up even a 10 gallon tank for one. As it's in vogue here as well, blame the LFS employees for not being more specific in how difficult it can be to keep saltwater fish either.

So blaming the movie is just a cheap cop out to not blame parents for not being more stringent in their parenting and saying "No, you can't have a Nemo, they're too expensive and delicate to keep." I swear it's as bad as the mothers who buy Grand Theft Auto for their kids then are shocked to learn about the violence and language in the game and sue the game maker, Walmart and anyone else they can for their own lack of parenting. :rolleyes:
[snapback]864740[/snapback]​

im not saying i agree with it. thats just how a lot of people feel.

I didn't mean to imply you agreed with it but I know many people think that way. It's just annoying to me cause I see people constantly slacking off when it comes to proper parenting or taking responsibility for their actions. The past few years it's been easier to place blame on someone/thing else when there's a problem.

Finding nemo was a death sentence for quite a few tangs, However it breathed alot of life into reef protection movements, so I guess it came out alright in that sence, If only stupid people would stop breeding.

Great film my two yr old has had us watching it about a hundred times. No nemo's in the house yet though. :D

It was a great film. I saw some nemo's in a LFS that specify in saltwater aquariums in Lincoln (which when i saw it was beyond my emagination) and i couldnt believe how small they were. so diddy!!!
xx
dawney g

I liked it, but every time I got to my LFS and hear a little kid say over and over, "Look mom, it's Nemo!!! It's Nemo, mom!!" it makes me want to strangle them. I'm a nasty old grump who doesn't like kids to begin with though, so perhaps it annoys me more than most :p

I loved it!! :D Even though I must admit that my now almost 4 year old does refer to all clown fish as "Nemo" and to all tangs as "Dory" - probably the same way that I called all collies "Lassie" when I was a kid. But while the constant repitition can be rather annoying, there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, I'm pretty sure that young kids assume that "Nemo", "Dory", "Gill" etc are just designations like "kitty" or "doggy", especially since it's apparently perfectly normal that a single aquarium can house several "Nemos" or "Dories".

Did the film have any noteworthy effect on the hobby? I doubt it. On the upside, the movie might have sent people who had been toying with a SW set-up to their LFs a little sooner and on the downside, I'm certain that lots of people rushed out at the bidding of their kids to purchase the desired fishies - and most of those fishies probably didn't make it because the new owners didn't put in the required preparation and/or effort. :sad: (The same happened after 101 Dalmatians came out: 6 months later the pounds were full of unwanted dogs - dogs don't tend to die as quickly as fish when not taken care of properly.) But that's a temporary effect at best.

In the end, it was a fun movie that had the (for me) very pleasant side effect of serving as a starting point to teach kids about marine life in general and coral reefs in particular. :cool: That's certainly more of an educational starting point than Shrek or The Incredibles offered - even though I loved those movies, too.

Most reactions

Back