Finally I Can Get Some Fish :-) What Should I Get

wilo

Reaction score
Right i have finished cycling my (UK) 35G tank and can start the best part about fish keeping and pick some fish :good:
I will be taking 5 long fin zebra danios off a friend (who is shutting down his tank) as well as a plec (unknown version) will post pics when i get it for a ID.
now i want a bright active tank if possible with 1 or 2 larger centre pieces.

Any one have any suggestions?

Thank you all in advance

Well I haven't had much luck with my fish but my Zeb danios were the first fish I bought as they are quite hardy and at first thought their colours were a little drab etc...

They have been the best fish in the world, none have died on me, they are always the livliest fish in the tank and their colours shimmer beautifully against the light, these fish are fab :)

Wish I could give you more advice really but just wanted to post to say you wont be disappointed with the zeb danio's.

I'll also be interested to seee what is suggested as I know I will always keeps danios and would like fish that go well with them.

Personally I love going with themes :drool: With your zebra danios as they are from asia you could go with an asian theme with fish such as:
5 long finned danios
4 clown loach
1 male and 2 female dwarf gouramis
1 red tailed black shark
6 lepard danios
That plec which is about 5" I would guess
6 Tiger barbs

and some more fish which I can't think of that are from asia

renember to add them in gradually.

Personally I love going with themes :drool: With your zebra danios as they are from asia you could go with an asian theme with fish such as:
5 long finned danios
4 clown loach
1 red tailed black shark
6 lepard danios
6 Tiger barbs

i had been told my tank is not big enogh for a rtbs, i really like these and my LFS has some real nice ones in.

also will the tiger barbs and the rtbs eat the danios?

thanks for the sugestions as that sounds like a NICE tank :)

plec is around 1.5 inch at the moment

5 long finned danios
4 clown loach
1 red tailed black shark
6 lepard danios
6 Tiger barbs

clown loaches get to 16" and need a much bigger tank, RTBS will get big and aggressive, that list would be taking you very overstocked with unsiutable fish :/

if you have a look at the link on stocking in my sig that should help you work out the lists for yourself, it explains how to work out compatibility etc.

I would go for something like a group of cories or small loaches for the bottom, a trio of dwarf cichlids (apistogramma, rams, kribs etc) to be you're 'feature' fish and then another shoal of tetra/rasbora type fish

If i werer you wilo i would go for something like this:

Centre Piece Fish

1 Male Gourami 2 Female Gouramis (Honey, Dwarf, Pearl)
1 Kuhli Loach

Other Fish

10 Tetras (Neon, Rummynose, Black Neon, Glowlight)
5 Zebra Danios
3 Rainbowfish
1 Bristlnose Pleco

Yes clown loaches can get very big but stay reasonably small in my brothers tank and I ve got a RTBS which is fine a 37.5 gallon tank with loads of small fish.
I think RTBS have built up a reputation of being very aggresive but given enough hiding places they are extreamly peaceful. You said my list would be overstocking and yes it would if you put them all in :crazy: but I was just giving a list of what to could be put in there.

If i werer you wilo i would go for something like this:

Centre Piece Fish

1 Male Gourami 2 Female Gouramis (Honey, Dwarf, Pearl)
1 Kuhli Loach

Other Fish

10 Tetras (Neon, Rummynose, Black Neon, Glowlight)
5 Zebra Danios
3 Rainbowfish
1 Bristlnose Pleco
i am LOVING that suggestion looked at all of the about and really like them.

only 1 i would be struggling to get locally would be a Kuhli Loach are they expensive and do they just hide or are they active, also are they OK on there own?

Cheers for the suggestion

Just a pointer to which tetras really....

I have both neons and glowlights - I still have all 5 glowlights and they were the first additions to my tank - as for the neons - I added these much later, and now have 1 left after starting with 5!

Basically, I'm trying to say that glowlights are nice, bright, active fish and are very hardy!!

Good luck with the stocking!

Laura

Just a pointer to which tetras really....

I have both neons and glowlights - I still have all 5 glowlights and they were the first additions to my tank - as for the neons - I added these much later, and now have 1 left after starting with 5!

Basically, I'm trying to say that glowlights are nice, bright, active fish and are very hardy!!

Good luck with the stocking!

Laura
cheers for the info they have some really nice glowlight tetras in my LFS so will get these

:good:

khuli loach should be in groups of 5 + they are pretty cheap to buy.

Personally i would go with a group of corydoras and either 1 male and 2 female dwarf or honey gourami OR a male female pair of dwarf cichlids, (rams, kribs etc)

Emma :)

I thought Kuhlis can be kept by themselfs, although they prefer to be kept in groups

<a href="http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Pangio_kuhlii" target="_blank">http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Pangio_kuhlii</a>

what about the following

1 Male Gourami 2 Female Dwarf Gouramis
3 Kuhli Loach

Other Fish
5 TetrasGlowlight
5 Zebra Danios
3 Rainbowfish
1 Bristlnose Pleco

will this be overstocked?

No this will not be Overstocked, However i would have 10 Glowlight Tetras not 5, this also wont be overstock.

I thought Kuhlis can be kept by themselfs, although they prefer to be kept in groups

<a href="http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Pangio_kuhlii" target="_blank">http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Pangio_kuhlii</a>

what about the following

1 Male Gourami 2 Female Dwarf Gouramis
3 Kuhli Loach

Other Fish
5 TetrasGlowlight
5 Zebra Danios
3 Rainbowfish
1 Bristlnose Pleco

will this be overstocked?

No this will not be Overstocked, However i would have 10 Glowlight Tetras not 5, this also wont be overstock.
NICE

think the tank is set if i can get the Kuhli Loach

Most reactions

Back