Fin Trouble

Chris5787

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone, had my betta for a few months now but ive been having some problems with his fins.

When I bought him he looked like this:

IMG_3044.jpg

Now he looks like this:

IMG_3359.jpg

Its been getting worse for a while, ive tried treating him with esha2000, myxazin and Interpet Anti Fungus and Finrot, but so far it doesnt seem to be working.

Anyone got any ideas on how i can treat it please?

Hes also got a mark on his head, which did start to clear up when i had the myxazin in, but it seems to have got worse again now.

Thanks.

Finrot is mainly caused by bad water quality.
Size of tank.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
Adding to many meds can stress fish and weaken there immune system.
The mark on the head can you describe it in more detail.

How is he acting other than the fin looking different? Is he active? Eating? Making bubbles? It's a little difficult to tell from the pictures, but are you just talking about the curling of his fins? Also, what are your tank stats and your water changing schedule?

Sorry, size of tank is 60 litre, 15 gallons i believe.
Hes in with pygmy cories and an apple snail.
Havent tested the water for a while, so will do so tomorrow.
The mark on his head is missing scales, and is the pink on his head in the second pic.

Change water once a week, 20 litres. He's eating really well and still making bubble nests. Hes as active as he always had been.

Oh and, the fins started curling but have become uneven, and now has 2 small holes in it.

Get your water tested to see if its bad water quality.
The pink on his head any white edging to it.
Ulcer can be pink but they will have a circling of dead white skin around the edges.

The problem is you have used to many meds and he could of built a resistance up to them.
How long did you use the myxazin as that a good med for finrot.

No white to it, and i know its not an ulcer. Yeah will test the water tomorrow, i know the tank is cycled though. Just a question of how high the nitrate is.

I used the Myxazin for the full treatment, 5 days.

How many cories do you have in there? It wouldn't hurt to up your water changes from 33% to 50% water changes and even do it more often. More clean, fresh water helps get rid of the fin rot quicker. Just make sure to get the water tested before you change the water so you know what your fish are being exposed to. Checking the stats after a water change is kind of pointless.

Got 7 cories. Water change is almost 50% anyway. Although its 60 litres, its actual volume is probably only about 45 litres. Might start doing them twice a week though, to see if there is any improvement.

The pink on the head could be bacterial.
Does the pink look fluffy in appearance.
This is what I would do seen as you have used to many meds.
For now soak his flakes in garlic juice it boost the fish immune system helping the fish to fight desease.
Plenty of water changes till we know your water stats.

Ok thanks, will post water stats tomorrow, and do a water change after testing.

It doesnt look fluffy to me, just like hes knocked the scales off. Could be bacterial though, because as i said the myxazin did seem to improve it.

Should i stop using the meds altogether for a while then?

Just rely on water changes?

Did you try all the meds one after another.
Was you running black carbon to get rid of the med before you started another med.

To many meds weaken the fish and makes matter worse.
Have you seen the betta rubbing himself on things in the tank.

I finished one course of a med, then after a water change i tried another med, and so on.

No, hes not rubbing on things in the tank.

Im not sure if theres carbon in the filter, dont think there is though. I got a feeling i removed it.

Ok just tested the water

PH - 7.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0 (Tested 3 times, using 2 different test kits to make sure)

What your tap nitrate reading.

Most reactions

Back