Fin rott, betta male help

You mentioned in your other thread that you only got him yesterday, I would suggest trying to get a refund if he has fin rot and white spots. Also agree with the water changes to help.
I agree. Whatever let store you got him from took really bad care of their Betta. They should give you a refund.

Pictures so we can see what is actually wrong with the fish?

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality. If the water is clean (has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, less than 20ppm nitrate) then it should heal up without any additional help.

Salt can be used in conjunction with big daily water changes. Use 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt per 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. Keep salt in tank for 1 week.

WIN_20230822_00_25_04_Pro.jpgWIN_20230822_00_38_50_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WIN_20230822_22_26_19_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230822_22_26_19_Pro.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Pictures so we can see what is actually wrong with the fish?

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality. If the water is clean (has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, less than 20ppm nitrate) then it should heal up without any additional help.

Salt can be used in conjunction with big daily water changes. Use 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt per 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. Keep salt in tank for 1 week.
I'm confused how am I supposed to keep the salt in the tank for a week if I'm doing daily water changes

Not the cleverest

I'm confused how am I supposed to keep the salt in the tank for a week if I'm doing daily water changes

Not the cleverest
You replace and replenish the salt as to do water changes. So if you change 2 gallons of the water with salt in it, with the new 2 gallons of water add new salt to replace the salt that was lost, if that makes any sense.

The tank is only halfway filled, so it's only 2.5 gallons. Fill it up so he has room to swim. What are the dimensions of the tank? Did you cycle the tank before putting him in?

Okay thank you but Bettas don't live in salt water🥴 wont this kill him
if Ive done this right the dimensions are W-12 H-9 D-7
And of course I cycled the tank I done things like that the day before off going to buy him

Last edited:
The amount of salt used is less than found in sea water, and it is only kept in the tank for a maximum of 4 weeks. Salt is a mild antiseptic, and once the damaged area starts to heal the salt is removed by water changes with no salt added to the new water.

Have you tested the water? And did you cycle the tank before you put him in? In order for him to heal we need to know the parameters and if you cycled the tank.

I'm not to bothered about the money plus if he went back there think he would die anyways I no I will save him
It's not necessarily always about the money but it's about holding these stores accountable. They are selling sick fish and now you are trying to help him, but they need to know they have done wrong. I don't think anyone is suggesting you bring him back there but you should definitely complain at the very least or they will keep doing it. I certainly wouldn't get any more fish from there if that's the state they're happy to sell them in.

Most reactions

Back