Fin rot with baby fry in tank...

leadfish

Reaction score
We have a 10 gal planted tank with 3 red platys (2 males & 1 female), 2 male sunset platys and 2 gold danios (gender unknown).

One of the sunset platys (Mickey) seems to be "not well"....he hides behind some plants until we feed them and then he comes out. We think he's starting to get fin rot. Some of the other fish kind of look like their fins might be getting affected too. We've already treated the tank about a month ago for fin rot with Fungus Cure.....it seemed to clear up all residents who were affected at the time.

We figure we can treat the whole tank again, but our concern is that we have two new baby fry in a birthing tank (we rescued them about a week ago). Can we treat the whole tank for fin rot with the baby fry in the tank? At this time we only have one tank (we are planning on buying a bigger tank, however at this point we would need a stand and $$ so we're waiting) We really would like to be able to save these fry but we am unsure how the medication would affect the fry.

Can anybody provide any advice?

Thanks!

The last time we tested was about 11 days ago, the ammonia and Nitrites were 0....we don't have a test kit for Nitrates....

In order to isolate the fish it would mean buying another tank. We could probably afford to buy a small one (i.e.5 gal) for the fry. What's the best way to cycle the "new tank" really quickly?

How do I know if the fry also have fin rot?

Thanks

Most of the time, finrot comes from bad water quality, so I would really recomend getting the water tested. If you can't, do a partial water change tonight. Investing in a water test kit is really worth it, simply for the piece of mind it gives you. Also, when somethign looks wrong, testing your water is always a good first step.

It is always worth having a hospital tank on hand. I bought my 10 gal for $30 (heater, filter, tank, and hood). To cycle it quickly, the only product that really works is bio-spira. However, for this product to be effective, it has to have constantly been refrigerated.

Would you recommend a hospital tank be anything less than a 10 gal? Would a 5 gal be OK?

As an aside question, while a hospital tank is not being used, should it be kept running like a normal tank with water?

The size of a hospital tank really depends on the size of your fish. A hospital tank needs to have adequate filtration for atleast two or three of your fish (if more are sick, you probably will need to treat everyon). You will also need a heater, as some diseases are better treated at high or low temperatures.

I always leave a spare spounge that I leave in my filter, so when it is needed, I can grab it out.

Don't worry about substrate, as it will be a pain to clean if the need arises. Make sure you do have a few hiding spots in there. I know walmart sells some cheap tank decorations.

You might be able to get away with the 5 gal tank. However, I have found a 10 gal is easier to control the temp in.

Most reactions

Back