Fin rot or fin nipping?

Are you talking about that long tear in his dorsal fin?

That is normal for long tears to occur like that. That is not associated to fin biting though.

Are there any sharp plants/decor in the tank? Sharp gravel?

That is normal for long tears to occur like that. That is not associated to fin biting though.

Are there any sharp plants/decor in the tank? Sharp gravel?
No, nothing sharp. I did notice some very small black patches when I first got him that seem to have faded. I’m not sure if that is indicative of anything. I’ve tried getting pics of it but they’re always too dark bc he’s such a dark blue. It seems like that top fin looks a little more rugged each day

Try getting pictures in the morning. As usual, large daily water changes will mend ripped fins.

@SABWARNER16 If there are not other tank mates, it cant be fin nipping. The first thing to always test is water: Next would be to evaluate tank mates, (which are none) and finally usually the last option would be to assume there is an infection. I would say to use Furan-2, it works great for Fin Rot. I see you're from Texas so I believe it should be available there. Only think I would check is if Furan-2 can harm plants as I haven't kept plants.
Furan-2 will not hurt plants but not necessary. This is not a bacterial infection. He has torn it some way. Furan-2 is a strong med and not what you should go for on your first line of defense unless you know for sure what it is. It will only help bacterial infections. However, in this case, just daily water changes of 70% with aquarium salt dissolved at 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons on first day. After that do 3/4 tablespoon of dissolved aquarium salt with every 70% water change. Do this for 10 days and figure out what he caught it on. It will also treat the ragged edges of the dorsal fin. Normally, daily water changes and aquarium salt is all you need for fin rot. Don’t rush for chemicals/meds unless necessary. They are hard on our fish. Please keep us posted. He’ll be fine. :)

Last edited:
@SABWARNER16 If there are not other tank mates, it cant be fin nipping. The first thing to always test is water: Next would be to evaluate tank mates, (which are none) and finally usually the last option would be to assume there is an infection. I would say to use Furan-2, it works great for Fin Rot. I see you're from Texas so I believe it should be available there. Only think I would check is if Furan-2 can harm plants as I haven't kept plants.
Fin nipping can be done by the betta itself but this is not fun nipping. :)

Most reactions

Back