fin nippers

Airli

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok so for the ease of ppl who have or want to have angels or bettas (such as myself), lets make a list of known fin nippers.. so far i can think of, and feel free to correct me if im wrong

- tiger barbs
- danios
- serpae tetra?

i know theres heaps more but this is where you guys come in... please..........

Golden barbs
and i've known bolivian rams and kribs to nip as well
and pencil fish

Leporinus fasciatus
Exodon paradoxus (buck toothed tetra)
Puffers of any species
Bumble bee gobies

Well i know Blue tetra neons and black tetra neons are classed fin nipper too, but i think that some tetra couldnt care, because i have three black tetra neons in with three angels and they are fine together

IME
skunk botias
silvertip tetras
blind cave tetras
penguine fish (tetra)

Has anyone had any problems with pristella tetras? I want to put about 12 of them in my 75 gallon which will also be home to 4 angels.

Ok for one thing I don't find that tetra (unless they are large and the angels are small) cause problems with angels. But deffinately pencilfish and headstanders are nippers and should be cautioned. I would say stay away from them but if you have a large tank (60gal+) and large angels with small nippers it should be ok. But at all costs STAY AWAY FROM BARBS (excluding banana barbs I find they are more agreable in some circumstances).

Toadfish said:
Ok for one thing I don't find that tetra (unless they are large and the angels are small) cause problems with angels. But deffinately pencilfish and headstanders are nippers and should be cautioned. I would say stay away from them but if you have a large tank (60gal+) and large angels with small nippers it should be ok. But at all costs STAY AWAY FROM BARBS (excluding banana barbs I find they are more agreable in some circumstances).
Many species of tetra can be downright dangerous to add to a tank with long finned fish, Bucktoothed tetras could leave a angel with no fins or scales in a matter of minutes. All Characins have teeth set into the front of the jaw which can be used to devastating affect on the fins and scales of other fish.

Most species of barbs are peacefull and can be kept with long finned species with no problems, only a few species such as tiger barbs and Arulius barbs are true fin nippers but give the whole group of fish a bad name.

rdd1952 said:
Has anyone had any problems with pristella tetras? I want to put about 12 of them in my 75 gallon which will also be home to 4 angels.
Mine are quite peacefull and dont bother anything.

black and white skirts are nippy.
commen, and comet goldfish are also fin nippers. They bite my fanceys sometimes.

I know this has nothing to do with this topic (and unless you have seen the Blue Collar Comedy Tour Rides Again video this will mean nothing to you) but when someone mentions bucktooth tetras I always go back to the Dork Fish that he talks about in the movie. It is classic. In case you're wondering, I have a warped sinse of humor.

Most reactions

Back