Filtration

nicwhile

Reaction score
I have just purchased a 300l tank complete with a filter that can handle up to 1200l per hour and has a volume of 11.6 litres. i have also purchased a spectacular (brand name) background bio filter. i am now concerned i may be over filtered for the tank

Nope...no overfiltering...in fact...I'd prefer it. You just have to make sure that the current produced is not too much for what you plan to keep in the tank...and....the intake won't injure anyone. SH

Nope...no overfiltering...in fact...I'd prefer it. You just have to make sure that the current produced is not too much for what you plan to keep in the tank...and....the intake won't injure anyone. SH

thanks for the advice. :)

overfiltering is uaully good, unless you keep a planted tank. In that case, too much oxygen diffuses into the water, so the plants may die from lack of CO2. the general rule of thumb is, 2-3 times the tank volume per hour for a planted aquarium, 3+ (while keeping in mind of the current produced) for non-planted tanks.

overfiltering is uaully good, unless you keep a planted tank. In that case, too much oxygen diffuses into the water, so the plants may die from lack of CO2. the general rule of thumb is, 2-3 times the tank volume per hour for a planted aquarium, 3+ (while keeping in mind of the current produced) for non-planted tanks.

actually its the other way round - the CO2 get dispursed by the excess surface movement

as others have said - over filtration is good - it also allows you to clean one filter out at a time - decreasing the risk of killing the good bacteria needed.

actually its the other way round - the CO2 get dispursed by the excess surface movement

as others have said - over filtration is good - it also allows you to clean one filter out at a time - decreasing the risk of killing the good bacteria needed.

I heard that if you overfilter too much in a planted tank, the CO2 will dissolve out of the water more quickly, defeating its purpose.

Most reactions

Back