Filtration For 55 Gal Aqarium?

dreworz5

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
how many gallons an hour would i need to filter??

I was alson wondering if it was better to use one big filter or two smaller ones so that you can replace one at a time, reducing the risk of your tank recyclying.

thanks

I'm running a fluval 405 on a 55 uk gallon tank, I also have a 203 which was on the tank when I had little stock in it and there was no spike in ammonia or nitrites when I increased the stock level a lot while the 405 external was still maturing.
the 203 has been left running too
bigger filters allow more filter media flexibility/you've got it if you move to a bigger tank and they still need cleaning-but less often compared to a barely big enough filter

I would get a marineland penquin bio-filter 350 it came with my 55g and it works great and it keeps the tank clean and comes with 2 filter cartridges and 2 bio wheels you can also get 2 more filter cartridges and put it in there then you can replace 1 a month and it won't cause a mini cycle.

I'm running a Fluval 304 on my 55 which is rated for aquariums up to 85 gallons. It filters 260GPH which should be more than enough for most community fish (cichlids and messy fish would require more). It's pretty easy to set up and allows for filtration replacement without losing your bacterial cultures. I am considering splitting off the intake and outtakes to maximise the water filtration but IMO it would be more than adequate for my needs.

Hi. The general rule for gallons per hour is 4-5. So for a 55 gallon aquarium that would mean 220-275 gallons per hour. If your filter can do this then you will be in good shape. If it can do more, that's even better as long as the current isn't too strong. Once you fill your aquarium with rocks, gravel and decorations you'll displace some water anyway so that'll drop the amount of water in your tank probably to somewhere in the high 40s gallons. I use a Penguin 350 on my tank and it does a great job and as said above it has 2 filter pads, with room for 2 more so you can change one at a time if you like, and the bio-wheels never get changed.

Do you plan on live plants or plastic fakes? If you are planning on a heavily planted tank you want something to circulate the water and possibly provide biological filtration depending on how many fish you have and hence how heavy the bio load is gonna be, WITHOUT disturbing the surface of the water to keep dissolved CO2 in the water for the plants. If you don't plan on plants then definately go with an Aqua Clear HOB filter. In my humble opinion, the HOB/live plants issue isn't THAT big of a deal but it does help.

I've had various sizes of Whispers, Marinelands (Aqua Tech, Penguin, Emperor), and Aqua Clears (medium and large) and the cheapest AND best (by far) filters for your tank would be the Aqua Clear.

Right now I'm running both an Aqua Clear 110 (used to be Aqua Clear 500) and an Emperor 400 and the tank has never been healthier and cleaner. I don't mean to put down the others as they are good too but if you want the best in every way AND for the cheapest amount of $$$ Aqua Clear is best. :)

If you do choose a cannister filter....get an Eheim but don't get the classics as they are a pain to change the media in....and keep this in mind....Eheim filters are NOT I repeat NOT good mechanical filters but the best at biological filtering. :)

If you do choose a cannister filter....get an Eheim but don't get the classics as they are a pain to change the media in....and keep this in mind....Eheim filters are NOT I repeat NOT good mechanical filters but the best at biological filtering. :)

i thought the classics were good and the eccos suck ????

The classics are tremendous biological filters but in a 55 gallon they're terrible mechanical filters. Both of these are achieved thanks to a lack of suction power brought about by an already low (around 260 gph i dont remember exactly) flow rating coupled with long tubing, which you COULD cut shorter according to where you place your canister in your tank stand. They're no different than the later models in those aspects.

But the classics are worse because of the pure aggravation in changing out the media. The newer versions have many features that make it more convenient to switch out the media. The classic is ok if you're only going to change it every 6 months but I never felt good about only changing anything with mechanical media in it for 6 whole months. :sick:

They are way cheaper than the newer versions, that is for sure though. And Ecco.....don't even mention that word! lol

Bottom line they're more for planted tanks as a main filter or as a supplemental filter to a HOB for something else.

That's my opinion.....I'm sure there are many more. :thumbs:

The Aquaclear & Eheim setup is about the best you can get. Eheims are awesome for bio filtration, Aquaclears for mechanical filtration.

I have yet to kill an Aquaclear, I abuse mine to no end in a breeding setup. The oldest one is at least 6 years old, with a 4 year old sponge. They all have extended intakes, and keep running with a half empty tank during water changes. You really have to work hard to burn them up.

The old ones are solid, the new ones just suck. By new ones I mean the ones started a year and a half ago. Quite horrible.

Most reactions

Back