Filters

OK...Fish tank is filled and everything is working! While browsing around, I noticed that cycling a tank is quicker if I had filter media. Well I do. I've kept my algae eater (only remaining fish I've had since 2009) in a smaller tank in my office. Can I follow the same fishless cycling add and wait method and also use the filter media or do I adapt the process at all?
You put the filter media in and continue with adding the ammonia (keep checking ammonia levels with test kit according to the pinned instructions). Adding the filter media will speed it up alot :good:

Thanks! I am so excited and my algae eater will be happy when he gets back into a bigger home! I will put the filter media in and start the cycling process tomorrow as I am letting the tank just run for a day to let things settle. I then will focus on what types of fish I'd like to have. Any suggestions? I live about 40 minutes from the fish store, so I will need to move quickly once I get them to bring home.

Thanks! I am so excited and my algae eater will be happy when he gets back into a bigger home! I will put the filter media in and start the cycling process tomorrow as I am letting the tank just run for a day to let things settle. I then will focus on what types of fish I'd like to have. Any suggestions? I live about 40 minutes from the fish store, so I will need to move quickly once I get them to bring home.
If you're putting the algae eater in at the same time as the filter media, don't do a cycle using ammonia! That's only if you have no fish at all.

I will look at angelfish.

fluttermoth...I planned on putting the algae eater in once the cycle is complete...but thanks for making note of that!

Ugh...filled the tank with tap water and realized I didn't treat the water first. Since nothing is in the tank...can I add the droplets into the tank to de-chloranate? Seems like the same method as putting droplets into the bucket.

I will look at angelfish. fluttermoth...I planned on putting the algae eater in once the cycle is complete...but thanks for making note of that!
Just checking :p

Ugh...filled the tank with tap water and realized I didn't treat the water first. Since nothing is in the tank...can I add the droplets into the tank to de-chloranate? Seems like the same method as putting droplets into the bucket.
Yes, that'll be fine; try to remember in future though!

Most reactions

Back