Filters

smithyif

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi everyone just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction , ive got a 100L tank and at the mo got a fluval U4 internal filter in there , but was wondering if an external filter (which one ) would be Better and Easier ? cheers ian

I would go external every time now,it gives more more in the tank and is alot easier to maintain when it comes to maintenance :good:

I have 2 externals which are tetratec ex 700 & ex 1200,which i think are great,a ex700 would be ample for your tank :)

External is always better, IMO , I have a Tetratec Ex700 on a 95ltr tank, and no probs with it, :good:

Tetratec all the way, I am using 2 ex1200 on my 5ft tank, they'll great. If you do read about leaks with them it is from a bad batch a long time back, no problems what-so-ever now!

Cheers

Sorry I meant so say earlier that the Tetratec external is very easy to set up and mantain, cleaning is very easy also, :good:

Out of interest, are the tetratec filters quiet? Planning on getting my first tank soon, prob a Juwel rio 125 or vision 180 and am umming and erring over whether to rip out the internal straight away and get an external. Would you recommend the tetratec? Need something as quiet as possible to keep the wife happy!

Will it be in an cabinet? If so I don't hear my two...but I did hear the one I was using when not in a cabinet, only faintly though

Don't make the mistake I did, I had a Roma 125 (same cabinet as the rio 125 I think?) and the ex1200 didn't quite fit through the cabinet doorway...so had to have it outside of it. I am guessing the 180 would house it inside the cabinet...but you ought to check.

Will it be in an cabinet? If so I don't hear my two...but I did hear the one I was using when not in a cabinet, only faintly though

Don't make the mistake I did, I had a Roma 125 (same cabinet as the rio 125 I think?) and the ex1200 didn't quite fit through the cabinet doorway...so had to have it outside of it. I am guessing the 180 would house it inside the cabinet...but you ought to check.

Building my own stand so should fit!

Building my own stand so should fit!

No worries then, decided on a model? I got a ex1200 for a 125 litre tank, it worked well but I did have to modify the spray bar to reduce the pressure of the flow in the tank. I placed the spray bar at one end of the tank using just one segment (out of three) so it was short enough and then put a series of holes on the other side on the bar aimed up and back at the side glass, the original holes were aimed at the surface, worked great.
Plus if you get a ex1200 you'll be good to use it "when" you upgrade your tank :)

Considering the Rena XP2 or Eheim 2217 or 2075. Not ordered the tank yet (hoping to get 125 litre or 180 (wife says it's too big though...) or even finished the stand but got so many ideas! Too much painting and sanding going on at the moment. Is it the right move in planning to remove the Juwel internal straight away and go external?

Considering the Rena XP2 or Eheim 2217 or 2075. Not ordered the tank yet (hoping to get 125 litre or 180 (wife says it's too big though...) or even finished the stand but got so many ideas! Too much painting and sanding going on at the moment. Is it the right move in planning to remove the Juwel internal straight away and go external?

No question, go external!

Things to bear in mind with the Eheim, there are no trays for easy maintenance in those models I don't think, the media needs to be bought separately and they are costly for what you get.

<quick sales pitch>
I highly recommend the tetratec ex1200, for the money it is superb, there are 4 trays inside with all the media included (bio balls, ceramics, sponges, floss pad and carbon in bags). You'd want to put the carbon to one side as you want to keep it in case you have to remove any meds later on, not much point in using it straight away. The flow rate is good and it is very easy to maintain having a valve on each of the in and out hoses and a connector plate for the hoses so the whole hose assembly can be taken away easily to get inside.
</quick sales pitch>

I've heard good things about the Rena too, although I can't remember which models...

Whatever you choice going external is a good choice.

You may want to consider an external heater too? I am using Hydor Eth heaters so all I have in the tank is in and out pipes :)

Also, I am not sure if you can get a Fluval Roma 125 instead of a Hagen Rio 125, but these have separate internal filter / heater so no messing with siliconed in bits and pieces, plus you'd have Fluval spare parts in case you'd need them then. Fluval and Hagen are the same make as far as I am aware, just slightly different in setup.

Hagen own fluval.

Since getting my Roma 125, I quickly got an external, so much better. Easier to maintain, more room in tank etc.
Oh and for whoever mentioned it, the rio cabinets and the Roma cabinets are completely different designs.

Hey i got a second hand ex 1200 with my 195 litre tank (as well as a bust ex 700 which he gave me for free) its not in a cabinet and i cant hear it at all and its bang next to my tv so if it was noisy i would not be happy :p

i am also getting a u4 (delivered next week) for the other side of the tank so guess i will have best of b oth worlds!

but yeah the tetratec range in my opinion is great and even better if you can get it cheap second hand!

had no experiances with other externals so cant say if its the best or worse but im happy with it :)

ash

No question, go external!

Things to bear in mind with the Eheim, there are no trays for easy maintenance in those models I don't think, the media needs to be bought separately and they are costly for what you get.

<quick sales pitch>
I highly recommend the tetratec ex1200, for the money it is superb, there are 4 trays inside with all the media included (bio balls, ceramics, sponges, floss pad and carbon in bags). You'd want to put the carbon to one side as you want to keep it in case you have to remove any meds later on, not much point in using it straight away. The flow rate is good and it is very easy to maintain having a valve on each of the in and out hoses and a connector plate for the hoses so the whole hose assembly can be taken away easily to get inside.
</quick sales pitch>

I've heard good things about the Rena too, although I can't remember which models...

Whatever you choice going external is a good choice.

You may want to consider an external heater too? I am using Hydor Eth heaters so all I have in the tank is in and out pipes :)

Also, I am not sure if you can get a Fluval Roma 125 instead of a Hagen Rio 125, but these have separate internal filter / heater so no messing with siliconed in bits and pieces, plus you'd have Fluval spare parts in case you'd need them then. Fluval and Hagen are the same make as far as I am aware, just slightly different in setup.

Thanks for your advice. Not considered an external heater before. Not sure what tank to get. Good to know that Fluval is easier if you're going to remove the internals straight away.

Thanks for your advice. Not considered an external heater before. Not sure what tank to get. Good to know that Fluval is easier if you're going to remove the internals straight away.

No probs

I still had to make modifications to the back top section of the tank to allow the external pipes to fit comfortably, I used a hot blade (used the gas hob on a penknife) to cut away around the existing slots in the back, to provide more depth for the pipe work, easy to do and neat and tidy!

Most reactions

Back