Filter

Oscar2012

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a fully cycled 25 litre aquarium with a single male betta in but have bought a 45 litre aquarium for him because I feel like he will benefit from more space, I have a stringray 5 filter in my 25 litre which is for up to 25 litre aquariums, I have a new filter with my new tank but was wondering if the old filter in my 25 litre would be adequite for the new 45 litre tank, I know you can use some of the media from the other filter but the sponges from the stringray is nothing like the sponges in the new filter so am not sure what to do, I am not planning on doing any more fish so he will still be on his own

Just put the old sponges in the bottom of your new filter. You can cut them up, if needs be, to make them fit :)

Then just fill in the extra space with the new sponges, again cut a bit off you need to.

The Stingray filters are a bit gimmicky, tbh, and you'd be better off with a different filter, as long you make sure the flow isn't too strong for your betta (turn it to face the back or side glass, add a spraybar if it is).

Thank you, will do that then, I must admit the new filter is much better than the stingrays and you do get a spray bar with it so will do that, thanks again

I had a stingray back many years ago for my betta tank, because of its low output & directional output, which wasnt common in internals back then. Since then you get things like the fluval series with directional, adjusyable output which are much better.

Yes that is one of the reasons I got the stingray because of the low flow rate, will keep it as a spare just in case and will take the tiny little sponges out and put them in my new filter, tanks

Do test often and feed sparingly for about a week, just in case of a 'mini cycle', where some of the bacteria die back.

If that happens, a few extra water changes is all that is needed.

Thanks I have the api liquid master testing kit so will test regularly and do water changes as necesary

Most reactions

Back