Filter?

fishcollector7000

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am regutting one of my fish tanks that currently has white sand in, if i replace this with gravel, would i need a undergravel filter plate?
I have a jewel 125.
Would this benifit me?

Under gravel filters are now a very out of date and inefficient system. You would do much better going for an external canister for that size of tank. However, they only work when placed below the tank so bare this in mind. The tank itself may need a bit of customising to incorporate all the tubing. I may be wrong however as I haven't ever owned a Juwel tank. Usually this involves no more than sawing out a small section of the hood with a hacksaw to let the input and output tubes through. If you don't fancy this then go for a decent internal like an Eheim.

:good:

don't jewel tanks come with a big internal fiflter? or did you already remove it, anyway the point is a external filter is best for your fish and is easyer to maintain (usualy). although they are expencive its definetly worth the money.
shang hi :good:

I have a external eheim and a internal jewel.

i just wonared if i needed a plate under the gravel, or i can just place it directly in?

Thanks

No you don't. If you are considering live plants I would definitely add a layer of decent fertiliser, something like Tetra Complete Substrate before topping off with 1" - 1.5" of small gravel <3mm. Otherwise a 1.5" - 2" layer of pure gravel will be fine.

:good:

Under gravel filters are now a very out of date and inefficient system. You would do much better going for an external canister for that size of tank. However, they only work when placed below the tank so bare this in mind. The tank itself may need a bit of customising to incorporate all the tubing. I may be wrong however as I haven't ever owned a Juwel tank. Usually this involves no more than sawing out a small section of the hood with a hacksaw to let the input and output tubes through. If you don't fancy this then go for a decent internal like an Eheim.

I don't know if all Juwel tanks are like this, but mine had really big holes at the back, so you wouldn't need to alter it to add something like that. I had to do the reverse and block my holes up.

Most reactions

Back