Filter to strong?

optize

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon tank and I just recently bought the Marineland Penguin 150 Bio-Wheel® Power Filters.
8122_4146b.jpg

They have one for "Up to 20" and one "Up to 30". Well, I decided on getting the 30 one, I figured a little extra cleaning wouldn't hurt.

I put it in today and it seems like it might be to strong, whenever the fish swim to the left side of the tank (on the top) they get blown away by the filter. They keep going to it though, so I don't know if they like it or ...?

I'm just afraid it's to strong and its going to end up hurting the fish more then helping the tank. I was really surprised on how noisy these are, compared to the topfin filters. You can't even hear the topfin ones. :rolleyes:

Thanks.
-t

Try turning it down as low as it goes....What kind of fish are in there?
If they're really little they might have problems, as in getting exhausted and then stressed, lastly...sick :( I've been there, and my filter is definately too big for my tank aswell, more than 10 gallons to big..lol...but there is a way to fix it...hmm...I'll find the link and post it

Squishiebabe said:
Try turning it down as low as it goes....What kind of fish are in there?
If they're really little they might have problems, as in getting exhausted and then stressed, lastly...sick :( I've been there, and my filter is definately too big for my tank aswell, more than 10 gallons to big..lol...but there is a way to fix it...hmm...I'll find the link and post it
Don't think there's a way to turn down the flow. THey are mollies. Some of them are a month or so old, not fully grown.

theres some ideas....and i've seen on here, you cut the middle out of a waterbottle, then slice again so its a kind of U shape, and put it over where the water comes out, and it pushes the flow against the tank wall before dissipating....I'm trying to find that thread, lolFilterCurrent toostrong?

Looks like way to much work. I might just go back to the topfin 20g filter.

Does anyone else use these filters? Are they better then topfin? I was recommended them by a friend.

It might even be possible that they are playing in it... (as they were in the other forum) They are staying away from it now... so who knows..

Most reactions

Back