Filter To Small?

rockerBOO

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Currently I just set up a new tank, had a bunch when i was younger and now getting into it.

I currently have Tetra Whisper (20 economy) for my 20G High tank. I got this with the box set at the LPS and said this would be ok. Seems that with the amount of fish I have, I should use a lot more filtration. I am wondering what would be best. I do not want to change it immediately because of the bacteria that has built up. Any suggestions?

It has been a month for a cycle and slowly moved some fish into the tank. I currently have the following in my tank..

20G Community Tank
1 Palty
2 Swordfish
2 Leapord Danio
1 Zebra Danio
3 Peppered Cory

Here are some parameters for my tank.

Length: 24 Inches Width: 12 Inches Depth: 16 Inches
Distance of light source from gravel: 14 Inches
Surface area: 288 Inches2 Volume: 19.95 US gallons Weight of water: 165.99 lbs

I have filter of the same brand for my 29 gallon tank, though I only use it when I need extra filtration (if the water fogs up) theres a 29 gallon at the daycare where I work that only runs on it, and it doesnt seem to keep up. I dont know if thats because of improper care of the tank, or because it doesnt do its job very well, I dont see how those power filters keep the tank clean as they are only over one section of the tank, I dont see how it can effectively filter all the water, and not just the water on that side of the tank, seeing as it dumps the water right next to the intake tube. you can try it and see how it goes, but from what Ive seen, I have an undergravel filter that is keeping my tank running rather well. water flows pretty even, and all my chemical levels are where they need be. i hear conflicting reports about whats the best form of filtration, and I admit I am somewhat new to this arena myself, but from what little I have learned and what little experience I have gained in the last few months, my UG works very well. you might just have to experiment to figure out what works for you.

Power filters can and do effectively filter a tank if they are powerful enough. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere (even on tetra's website) the gallons per hour (gph) that the tetra whisper 20 is rated for. Generally you want your filter to turn your entire tank over 5-7 times per hour, so your looking at a filter with a rate of 100 to 150 gph. If you decide to change filters, just run the new one with the old one for a couple of weeks and then remove the old on, you shouldn't have any ammonia or nitrite spikes, and the extra filtration won't hurt the fish.

From what I have found it has

"Pumps 105 gph, designed for aquariums up to 20 gallons."

So seems good enough, but i was pouring some water back in after a water change and one of the fish came in from the side of the tank and was, from what i could see, having fun running against the current.

But I will keep that in min about the gph though.

Most reactions

Back