Filter question…

TheDudeAbides818

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon tank that is about 2 & 1/2 months old now… I was weary of changing the filter too soon for fear of losing any “good bacteria” that may have developed on it. I was told by one enthusiast that it’s not necessary to change the filters as often as the manufacturers suggest. I’ve only rinsed it off one time in the old tank water when I did one of my water changes. Should it be changed out completely at this point or not yet? I have a hang on filter set up with a disposable charcoal filter bag in it. I only have five fish in the tank that have only been in there for a couple of weeks. Also, I do have a bag of bio-filter media in the filter as well. Don’t know if that matters or not with my question.

You can rinse out your filter media in aquarium water until the media falls to pieces . No reason at all to change it very often . You really don’t need the charcoal but it does give the water a bit more clean up . That should be replaced maybe every six months .

Thank you all for the input. I was actually just figuring on not completely changing it out for at least 6 months. Was going to just give it a rinse in the removed tank water on the next water change. I’m always cautious to not disturb the water parameters too much.

Most reactions

Back