Filter Question

Fishfan4lyfe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
First, I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place :/

I am looking to purchase a filter as cheap as possible for my new Rio 125. I seen this listed on e-bay and would like to know if this is everything i need and secondly is it a good price?

Fluval 205 External Filter

- Black / Silver
- 680 LPH for aquariums up to 200 litres
- Instant Prime, no need for manual siphoning
- Aquastop feature eliminates leaks & mess
- Updated rim connector for secure hose connection
- New, clog free intake strainer
- Full setup & maintenance guide included on DVD
- 2 part Lock clamp
- Ribbed hosing

3 year Warranty, UK model.Superfast Shipping.In Stock

Filter Media included:
- 2 x Foam, 2 x Carbon (70 g), 2 x Biomax (200 g)

=£62.50

Many Thanks in advance.

The Fluval range generally use the number as an indication to what size tank it's capeable of filtering, so in this case max 200L as you mentioned. So for your tank is would be good, always better to over filter than under! I run a 70L with a Fluval 205, and 180L with a Fluval 305.

In my own personal experience i don't like Fluval, these were the first two Fluvals i've ever bought and i won't buy them again. For the sole reason they leak to easily, even when tipping them over the slightest bit. Not helpfull when i'm trying to move it slightly or move it for cleaning.

I bought mine 12 months ago, can't vouch for how much prices may have changed since then but i got my 205 for £45 and my 305 for £90. Unusually for me when i bought my 205 it was on the shelf with 2 others exactly the same except the colour of the top right of the box where it said 205. Mine was green, the other two were orange (i think or vice versa) and the one i bought had a sticker saying £45, the other two said £65. Both the same filter as far as i'm aware but i bought the cheaper one - obviously. So hope that gives a little insight into comparisons.

i have the 305 and think its areally good filter. especially for maintenance as both in and out pipes come off simultaneously. but recently i got two aqua one aquis 1050s as extra filtration and think they are a better filter, they have cleared my water far better than the fluval but i think maintanence will be more awkward with the aqua ones.

Thanks for your comments, I have only previously had built in filters but have had no end of trouble so i bought the Rio 125 for £90 but no filter, so I have no clue about external filters if im being honest haha. I think i might buy it and see where i go from there i just need one as soon as possible and as cheap as possible but obviously one that will cater for the tanks needs.

Many Thanks Again.

Hi, I have the same sized tank as you.

Personally I think you'd be better with an eheim 2217+ (thats whats on mine) better filtration, better flow rate and can be bought online for about £90

Andy

Hi, I have the same sized tank as you.

Personally I think you'd be better with an eheim 2217+ (thats whats on mine) better filtration, better flow rate and can be bought online for about £90

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for that as i've said not a clue when it comes to external filters haha
I have also found the TETRATEC EX700 External Filter Unit for £71. Anybody know if this is good?

Many Thanks For All The Replys

The only i know which what i've got are the tetratec externals (ex700 & ex 1200),fab filters from my experience of them,easy to maintain etc :good:
I got mine from here £59.99 and with free P&P :good:

As harlequins mentioned, the tetratecs also have a good review and I did consider one of them before deciding on the eheim.

I went for eheim simply because of their reputation, many people have run eheims for 15-20 years without problems, I'm not saying the tetratecs aren't as good, just they havent been around long enough to get the same sort of reputation but what I hear of the tetratecs they are good.

If price is a deciding factor have a look at this filter -> APS Filter

These are designed on the tetratecs and are fairly new but a few members on this forum use these filters and I've only heard good things about them :good:

Andy

I would like to thank everybody for their input, knowledge and helping me make my choice.
In the morning i will be ordering tetratec ex700 just like Harlequins suggested.

Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back