Filter Question

ocean_baby

Reaction score
Hi I have a topfin filter for 20gal with filter wool in it, it recomanded to replace every 3 weeks, so if i want to change the filter wool do I just put a new one inside the filter to replace the old one, or have to put the new one into the tank water for couple of days to sock it with bacteria first? :( Sorry for the newb question

Hi I have a topfin filter for 20gal with filter wool in it, it recomanded to replace every 3 weeks, so if i want to change the filter wool do I just put a new one inside the filter to replace the old one, or have to put the new one into the tank water for couple of days to sock it with bacteria first? :( Sorry for the newb question

I know this might sound odd but your filter wool will get gunked up in about a week. Take it out, run it under the sink and maybe rub it a little to get most of hte gunk off. Then, put it back in your filter. This will work for about 1-2 weeks after the 3 weeks it said. Its a great way to save money lol. Unless you have bad carbon.

um will there be an ammonia or nitrite spike if I add a fresh filter wool?

yangfishy, it's best to wash out the wool with aquarium water not tap water, so you don't lose all the good bacteria

Wool ones get dirty very quickly so need a clean every month or so. After about six months it will fall apart and you should get a new one

um when I put into a new filter wool what should I do first before put it into the filter

um when I put into a new filter wool what should I do first before put it into the filter
Not much bacteria grows in filter wool. It's really there to sieve out larger crap in the water before it reaches your sponges and filter media where most of your bacteria hang out. Never clean out sponges or wool under the tap. Squeeze out filter wool weekly in old tank water and filter sponge only once a month in old tank water or when it gets seriously gunged up. Only replace either when their falling apart or completely clogged up and dont replace the whole lot. Cut old wool or sponge in half then replace the half youve thrown away. Leave for 2 weeks then replace the other half. Surprisingly, manufacturers tell you to replace it more often but then theyre interested in making money and not looking after fish health.

ps read this:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=139488

Actually, if your filter media is PURELY for mechanical purposes (like filter wool on top of a trickle tower) then it is fine to rinse it under a tap. You won't be killing any bacteria you want (you want it to colonise the bio-media which the floss should be keeping gunk free) and it will help make sure there is no detritus breaking down on the filter floss causing a nitrate growth.

I rinse my filter floss under the tap every 2-3 days on my two main filters.

And if you are one to worry about any chlorine getting in, unless you exactly measure out a smaller dose to perfectly match your chlorine levels then you likely overdose with de-chlor. the nice thing about de-chlor is that the active ingredient stays in the water and will react to any new source of chlorine.

Most reactions

Back