Filter Problems

xxIAmMexx

Reaction score
I'm having some major filter issues lately. I have one heated 10 gallon divided tank with two bettas. I can't seem to find a good filter for it. I had an AquaClear, and that was good with current, but it was cheaply made and had an annoying vibrating noise (tanks is next to my bed), and my water is very cloudy (even with close to weekly gravel vacuuming). I just got an Aqueon filter, but the current is WAY too strong with even the water bottle, sponges, and plants. I'm running out of ideas. It's hard enough just to find something that actually fits on the tank with the divider (I keep the intake tube on my males side and the female gets the flow of water). Does anyone have any ideas for a filter that cleans the tank, isn't noisey, won't give my fish a hurricane, and isn't huge? (I know, I'm dreaming). I know a lot of people here use sponge filters. Do they really clean the tank alright as I don't have time for tons of huge water changes? Any help would be very appreciated.

Aquaclear filters are very good and normally very quiet. Perhaps you got a dud. If it is less than 2 yrs old then it is probably still under warranty.
Cloudy water is usually caused by too much food and a filter that hasn't established properly yet.
Most power filters can be adjusted to some degree to reduce the water flow. External canister filers can have taps fitted into the return hose and this can be turned down to reduce the flow. Some internal filters can be adjusted as well. If the AquaOne filter has a smaller model you can see if the impellor (magnet with plastic blade) from the smaller version fits into your filter. If it does then that will produce less water flow from your filter. Alternatively you can break or cut off one or two of the plastic blades on the impellor, that will reduce the amount of water that is pushed out by the pump. The impellor isn't normally covered by warranty as it is a wearing part, but some shops might say that by modifying the impellor you have actually voided your warranty.

You could run a couple of air operated sponge filters but they would make more noise than a power filter.

Lately I've been hearing of quite a few people saying they aren't as good. They are reallly making the plastic much thinner which I'm guessing is the cause of the vibrating noise. I bought one a few years ago that worked wonderfully... but I broke it, which is the reason for the new one.
The tank has been running for at least a few months with the filter, and I only feed 2-3 pellets twice daily. The sun could play a part in the cloudy water, but this has been the first time in years that it's happened.
I know there is a smaller model of my filter, but the store doesn't sell it. As much as I dislike my AquaClear I think I might be stuck with using that since after just one day the Aqueon is going crazy on me. Is it really this impossible to find a filter that works? I don't want to try breaking the impellor since I did that accidently with another filter and it would take hours to prime.
Sponge filter is sounding pretty nice right about now...

You could take the filter back and say it is making a lot of noise. The shop should check it out and replace it with another one if there is something wrong with it. You could try writing to Hagen, I think they are the company that makes Aquaclear filters. Send them an email and see what they say. Try putting something on the top of the filter and see if that helps reduce the noise. The lid might be vibrating if it is loose.

Most reactions

Back