Filter Problem

guidedbyechoes

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I just took out my crushed coral substate to add sand. I turned the filter on to help clear up the water faster. Well it stopped. I cleaned it out, inserts every thing. The motor hasn't burned up because I can still hear it trying to work but the suction isn't happening. I have a biowheel if that helps any.

What brand is the filter? How old is it? This might be a stupid question, but did you prime the filter? And are you sure you've reassembled it correctly? How about the inpeller? Is it clean and in good condition? Hopefully you get it working soon. Keep the media wet.

i've got one that stops on me, either a gentle tap or taking the suction tube on and off gets it going again.

Pull out the impeller & shaft, and rinse them. Pull out the media & intake tube, and breifly plug it in to see if the impeller spins. If it doesn't, give it a little nudge with a slim object, a pen helps me with my fat fingers.

If it spins, unplug it, it probably isn't the impeller or shaft. Try filling it with a cup of water, no media or intake tube. Once again, plug it in breifly, giving it a nudge if it doesn't start spinning. If it spins, it almost certainly isn't the impeller or shaft.

Same thing again, with the intake tube attached, with no media, and a cup of tank water. No suction or spin means you are not attaching the intake tube properly. If it spins & pulls up water it is not the impeller or intake tube, unplug, add media, a cup of tank water, and plug it in. If it doesn't run this time you are installing the media improperly.

Pull out the impeller & shaft, and rinse them. Pull out the media & intake tube, and breifly plug it in to see if the impeller spins. If it doesn't, give it a little nudge with a slim object, a pen helps me with my fat fingers.

If it spins, unplug it, it probably isn't the impeller or shaft. Try filling it with a cup of water, no media or intake tube. Once again, plug it in breifly, giving it a nudge if it doesn't start spinning. If it spins, it almost certainly isn't the impeller or shaft.

Same thing again, with the intake tube attached, with no media, and a cup of tank water. No suction or spin means you are not attaching the intake tube properly. If it spins & pulls up water it is not the impeller or intake tube, unplug, add media, a cup of tank water, and plug it in. If it doesn't run this time you are installing the media improperly.

Its the impeller but I dunno what to do about it. after work I'll get a pipe cleaner and try to clean out the place where it connects to the filter.

Success!!!! I got deep into the filter and there were two peices of carbon keeping it from setting in fully. Now it is hard at work clearing up the tank. Should be crystal by morning!!!

Most reactions

Back