filter or air pump?

o-zel

Reaction score
Hi
which is better? filter or air pump in a 20 gal with sand... it right next to my bed around 2-3 feets away so i have to turn everything off to sleep(beside the heater)... going to put guppy or ram in it with lots of plant

thnx

I would highly suggest a filter for a small tank, even if lightly stocked. And I would not suggest turning off the filter, even for a few hours. You need adequate water circulation and you don't want any mishaps or forgetting to plug in a filter if late for work or anything of the sort.

The filters I have are rather cheap, but they don't make noise. The only noise is the trickle of water that leaves the filter.

i have a tank in my room with an air pump, at first the noise will really annoy you but after a week or so you will get used to it. now after having mine for over a year it feels strange when its not on!

An Air Pump is not a good choice for a planted tank. You need a filter, preferably one that does not create a lot of surface agitation.

I agree with Tempestuousfury in the sense that turning it off at night is a very bad idea.

Also, bluefire is right in that you adjust to the sound and eventually it will not bother you.

i also suggets a filter! you know with some people the buzzing sound of an aquarium get get sooting after a while :) just like raindrops on the rooftop :) :thumbs:

wow... thnx i guess i will go for the filter...
arrr now mom isn't really happy about it... but no matter what i am going for it
thnx

why isn't she happy with a filter?

a 20 gallon requires a quite small filter, like aquaclear 150 or 200 which are cheap and quiet, yet a lot more effective than a pump!

Most reactions

Back