Filter Off

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have just realized that I forgot to turn my filter and heater back on after yesterday's water change.... first time I've ever forgotten.  The water temperature is fine as it has been hot here.  The water looks the very slightest of slight bit foggy... I've tested and have the appropriate 0's....

Is that alright then?  Any damage done?

I've done the same numerous times and have never experienced any problems
smile.png

Good!  I keep seeing threads where people have power outages and their fish die... got nervous about mine... they all appear just fine though.

It might have been a different story if we weren't having this amazing weather. I've had to turn my heater down. The stat usually reads 25 but now up at 28. Crazy.

My heaters haven't come on since last week (minus the day I forgot to plug one of them back in). 

I'm actually getting a bit worried about my temp because I've turned the heater down to 24 but last night it was as high as 29. This morning it is 28.

David J said:
I'm actually getting a bit worried about my temp because I've turned the heater down to 24 but last night it was as high as 29. This morning it is 28.
The heater only heats water, not cools it down. If it's over temperature it simply just won't come on.

Try some ice cube trays of dechlorinated water or some frozen water bottles. Fish are designed to deal with seasonal temperature fluctuations up or down if it's only for a short period of time. As long as its not over 30 I wouldn't worry.

I've been keeping the lights off for mine once the room fills with sunshine and that reduces my temperature a degree or so.

We all have panicky moments and thankfully most of them are just blips!
I had a bit of a panic a couple of weeks ago when I noticed the betta tank temp was quite low - down by about 4°C!! I was so mad because the heater was only a few months old - then I had a light-bulb moment - I'd had to remove a plug to use the powered gravel cleaner and yes! I'd forgotten to replace said plug. All water parameters are still fine so the bacteria appear not to have been affected. (Confession: it was 2-3 days before I actually noticed it!!!!)

Most reactions

Back